Hub For Tubeless Rim.

joeninety

Hi,

I've just been given a 36 spoke tubeless rim from a mid 90's gasser in good condition. I'm looking to lace this to a TLR hub but don't want to use my existing TLR hub as the wheel & hub are good and I want to keep as spare. So I'm looking out for a used TLR hub from the usual places but in the meantime I'm wondering is there are any alternatives that will fit and might be better than the TLR hub / brake? e.g. Will a TY250 mono hub fit? how much modding required? any gains for the amount of work etc?

Cheers,

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've managed to get hold of a TLR rear hub, looked okay but needed a bit of a clean up but after bead blasting I noticed cracking around the spoke holes on the brake lining side of the hub. Had I used it as is I would have not noticed these cracks due to the paint covering them but now I know I'm wary about using it.

post-14156-0-23506300-1431502492_thumb.jpg

post-14156-0-02510000-1431502479_thumb.jpg

So... whats the options? The cracks don't appear to go into the spoke counter bore holes and aren't visable on the internal diameter of the hub flange so are these surface cracks? could they be machined off by turning down that flange diameter as I don't think this is a stressed feature? what about welding? I thought about turning the diameter parallel and shrinking a stainless ring on it?

Whats people thoughts and I'd be interested to know how many other TLR hubs are like this with people unaware...

Cheers,

Gary.