Gas Gas 125. Pro 2012

malcolm

Just undo the retainining Allen bolt 3 or 4 turns and then rotate the kickstart into the starting position, the Allen bolt head should strike the kickstart arm and pull the kickstart off the tapered shaft.

If you have the Allen head protruding as you turn the kickstart away from the bike into the starting position it can't do anything but release from the shaft!

They do get stuck on the spline and you might need a puller to get off,  I have taken mine to motorcycle shop and the guy did it for and didn't charge me.  As they usally have the right puller to do it with.

mik60ish, the proper way to remove the kick starter is not by a puller. Watch the above video at about 1:50, Jim shows how incredibly easy the starter comes off the shaft without   a puller even when it seems very stuck. Using the retaining bolt itself is just brilliant. All Pro bike owners have been faced with this dilemma. 

I`d pop the edge of the kick starter with a plastic/rubber hammer. I`ve seen many stuck, but it has to come off!

By the way ,the proper way to work on a gasser clutch is with the bike on it`s side on the ground. Perfect time to give that shaft a shot of penetrating oil. Good Luck.

Edited by lineaway

mik60ish, the proper way to remove the kick starter is not by a puller. Watch the above video at about 1:50, Jim shows how incredibly easy the starter comes off the shaft without   a puller even when it seems very stuck. Using the retaining bolt itself is just brilliant. All Pro bike owners have been faced with this dilemma. 

I was trying to tell the guy what worked for me tried several times the Jim way it didn't work as they seem to get stuck solid and the puller method worked for me a couple of times on different GG bikes offered advice whether its taken is up to the original enquirer?

• Like 1

Got it of. Had to remove the exhaust which allowed me to access to the rear of the component. I had to hit it pretty hard using a rod placed against the rear edge and heavy hammer.

Thanks to all for advice.