199A Fork Flex?

penno350

Evening Guys, are Bulto forks inherently 'wobbly'  only really noticed since I have been trying harder sections and particularly rocks but at times it seems like the front wheel is pointing in a different direction to the bars, everything in terms of clamps and spindle is tight and as it should be?

Generally speaking the older style forks are not as ridged as the modern style, mainly due to diameter 35mm versus 38 to 40 mm

but IMHO it is where the fork bracing/ fender mount placement occurs.

In my experience if you should crab a bit you may need to find a couple of trees the proper width apart to realign things, this

activity is to be avoided as much as possible but will occur anyway.

Will have photos shortly.

Larry

• Like 1

Depends on the fork brace, some are more rigid than others but no idea which is the best. My M92 twists all over the place, especially on rock sections and I have to regularly kick the wheel back into line. Another couple of bikes flex a bit and another bike is quite rigid. They all  have aftermarket braces, as far as I can tell, all the same...

The Sammy Miller mudguard brackets seem to be a bit stiffer than the standard brackets. This helps the forks a lot. If you have a look at a few photos of the Puma bikes you will see they have aluminium mudguard brackets on them which look to be very stiff and would stop the forks from moving at all. Graham.

• Like 1

Maybe these photos which I failed to post last evening will be of some help, my 199 seems to stay pretty

straight but then I don't ride rocks much or anything else like we all once did.

Larry

post-14329-0-43929700-1431350083_thumb.jpgpost-14329-0-90606000-1431350174_thumb.jpg

very un-twisty, too harsh for my thinking, I prefer the nice soft Bultaco fork action.

Edited by lbhbul

My standard bike (199b) with no mods  if you do big jumps and hit the end stops it has twisted the forks a few times I simply loosen off the front end and put it between my legs and pull it back. 

I did try it with out the loosening off and it seems to still come back ok. It never moves too far and is still very rideable.

Martin. 

• Like 1