Sparky Plug!

imexian

Still prob with battery...only seems to last half a day..drained after about a dozen starts!

Have a couple of high power rechargeables arriving this morning!!

Surely it cannot drain battery this fast? the switch is left to the on position in 9v battery box placed in airbox, but unless you press the handlebar button to complete circuit it cannot drain??

Ian

This still sounds like a wiring problem. My energizer lithium Battery has been on my bike for nearly 2 years and is still going strong. I don't have a switch anywhere in the circuit, just the kill type button that I hold when kicking so I would guess that this may be what is causing the drain somehow

I have a 9v plastic battery box bought from Maplins, it has a on/off switch on it, i leave it on? do you think this is causing drain? didnt think when bike is off/ running etc it would be draining it?? im no leccy expert though.

The rest of wiring is just the same as yours, using kill switch to start.

Ian

difficult to say, the only thing I know is that I don't have an on/off switch and my battery has lasted for 2 years. I agree it seems strange that you are draining batteries in half a day as the actual charge when you press the button is very low. for it to drain, assuming the rest of the wiring is correct, there must be a short somewhere. Moreso if you are using a lithium high power battery as they should in theory last a lot longer than a regular 9v

I use the same Maplins 9v Battery box and yes it should be left switched on. Mine is located inside the airbox to keep it dry. The wiring is very simple, the red should go to the red at the capacitor on the headstock. The black should go to one side of the kill/starter switch, the otherside of the switch should go to the black wire at the capacitor.

My standard batteries last at least 6 months.

If you have access to a DVM then measure the battery voltage, if it's wired correctly the voltage will be same battery in or out of the box. The voltage should only drop when the button is pressed.