Supresser Cap?

imexian

I've broken the original plug cap on my ossa, swapped to a normal ngk rubber one, does this make any difference, as the crap starting is even more crap!! Tried iridium plug and lithium battery, waste of time!!

The button for the easy start might as well be effect only as it makes not a jot of difference.

This bike is the boll@@ks but the starting is rank....

Ian

Some of the plug caps have resistance in them to deal with non-resistor plugs. The idea of the resistor in series with the spark is to slow the rise time of the current to reduce radio frequency emissions. I don't know if the Ossa uses a resistive cap stock but it's worth finding out and replacing with one that matches the stock cap.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/resistor_covers.pdf

Hmmm 1k, 5k or 10k

It won't make a difference in how fast the spark fires but it will determine peak current and spark duration. There's always warnings about using the wrong cap damaging the ignition but the only way I could see that happening is if the faster edge rate of the spark causes a kickback in the primary of the ignition coil. A 2 cent snubber diode to absorb the kickback takes care of the problem and I'm sure there's one already in the CDI.

Can you throw an Ohm meter on the stock cap and see what it's nominal value is?

I don't know the resistance but how the **** do you manage to break a plug cap?

Further, do you know you are getting a spark at the plug? If you have not installed the new cap correctly maybe you are not getting any spark. As I said in my other post, get the TPS and idle setting checked first, if TPS has been moved or is not set correctly it will always be a pig to start.

It has to be something simple, my 2013 starts easy, especially with the easy start

Hi, it's the hard plastic cap, it fits really tight under the seat, seat would not fit and did not realise it was pushing down on cap, you know the rest!!

What is this tps thing? Idle seems ok to me?

Ian

TPS is "throttle position sensor" and is attached to the throttle body on the left side as you sit on the bike. It senses the position of the throttle butterfly so the ecu can calculate fuel delivery etc. it has to be set to 5 degrees, much variation and trouble ensues.

Is the plug actually sparking? If it won't go at all and that is the last thing you changed (cap) I would start there

Edited by canada280i

Yes guessed that now!! TPS...

Yes spark no prob, will only goo if i push up slope and bump start fires straight away!!

What about a more powerful Li on 12v battery??

The pump is totally silent all the time when pressing easy start, in fact never heard it apart from first time it went on first night i got it....

Was going to trial today, but couldnt stand the hassle.....looks like no riding for me....

STOP PRESS!!  wires crossed on kill button/9v battery to capacitor, swapped around, the beast works!!! 2 kicks to prime good kick off she goes!!! at last a result!! :hyper:  :icon_salut:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  im off riding...... :P:D

• 4 weeks later...