How To Improve Keihin Carb Overflow Issues

magicmat

Hi All,

I feel like this a common problem, and i have done some reading and research, so bare with me.

I have reset the floats as best i can, but when i lean the bike on its side, say to rest on a tree, at a 45 degree angle or less, it just pours fuel out of the overflow,

bike is a 2011 Raga, with the keihin pwk

is there anything else i can do?

Its using so much fuel and i recon this is partly why

I recently tried connecting the overflow to a second vent i had drilled into the left side of the carb. I was hoping it would just recycle and still vent through the standard tube in the right side (behind the middle box).

All was good until i went down a steep hill. Bike flooded, fail.

Dellorto carbs don't have an overflow and don't seem to flood. So next experiment is to block the overflow i think the outcome may be the same.

Dropping the float level makes the bike run week by the way.

Edited by baldilocks

Yes im aware moving the float may make the bike run weak, but if the float isnt closing the valve, the bowl is still full !

The dellorto carbs dont overflow because they have no overflow pipe, it just goes straight into the engine !

Guess the trick will be to always keep it bolt up right :(

I know all you guys say this is wrong but...

My bike was delivered with the overflow tube routed up hill as in the picture below. I don't don't believe this is a mistake as it even has a little factory made clip to hold the overflow tube to the transmission breather tube.

Anyway, I have left it like this for the past three years and it works perfectly. It seems like it would be no better than blocking the overflow and yes, it has fuel sitting in the tube all the time. But the bike runs perfect in all positions, doesn't spill fuel unless I crash, and uses less fuel than any other bike.

You may not like this set-up but it would cost exactly zero to try it.

This was taken on day of delivery in 2011...

post-16811-0-82904700-1434058643_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ok thanks

Magicmat did you get an exclamation mark button off santa ?

Im not visually impaired, i can see a dellorto hasn't got an overflow but in my experience they don't flood anywhere near as often as a keihin. This I think is because the dellorto runs less fuel in the bowl. Is this because the pilot jet is lower in the carb body ?

Thanks for the explanation of what the floats do i thought they were just for show

• Haha 1

Ok thanks

Magicmat did you get an exclamation mark button off santa ?

Im not visually impaired, i can see a dellorto hasn't got an overflow but in my experience they don't flood anywhere near as often as a keihin. This I think is because the dellorto runs less fuel in the bowl. Is this because the pilot jet is lower in the carb body ?

Thanks for the explanation of what the floats do i thought they were just for show

Jesus, you are getting bitchey are you not? Old age probably!

There are several ways to skin this cat, yet my preferred method would be to block the overflow and drill out the left side vent casting. Then you can pretty much run it like a dellorto, unless you are laying it all the way over on the bar, then turn the fuel pipe off or it could flood.

This way will not p*** out with normal josseling. I have gone soo far as extracting the bloody tube from the bowl which makes them a pain to assemble and driving in a sealing ball bearing of correct size.

All this is secret stuff, do not tell!

Edited by copemech

Sadly Santa gave me so many I have to use atleast two in every post !!

Copemech's mod suggestion may work with your previous attempt,

Not sure I'm willing to drill the carb just yet.

Edited by magicmat

• 3 years later...

Hey, I know this is late XD but I have an old kawasaki kx 80 with a keihin carb that has given the same problem a couple times and each time the problem was the needle and seat. Dirt gets stuck in there and stops it from sealing when the floats push it up, just take apart and clean your carb and see if you can remove it and shoot some air through to get the dirt out. That is just what has worked for me in the past and I dont know if this is any use but hey.