Poll Lanyard Kill Switch Left Or Right

automagp68

A mate of mine recently pulled the lanyard as he was about to go over the bars and it hit him straight in the eye causing some problems. I was quite keen of getting one fitted until then but I wouldn't have used the lanyard around my wrist for Guys reason above.

I don't like them, think about it, if your throttle is stuck open you have to take your hand off the bars to cut the engine!!!

Happened to Pol Tarres at Penrith  he shot off at max revs & couldn't let go of the bars to operate the lanyard, dangerous.

• Like 1

I don't like them, think about it, if your throttle is stuck open you have to take your hand off the bars to cut the engine!!!

Happened to Pol Tarres at Penrith  he shot off at max revs and couldn't let go of the bars to operate the lanyard, dangerous.

There are also a lot of kill switches around that can't be reached without taking your hand of the bars.

No reason you can't put one in parallel with a traditional push button. I also am not keen on the elastic as it seems like a stupid way to do things that it will smack you every time it comes off. The non-stretch lanyard from Microcenter fits the magnet. I think the better answer is something that senses RPM and whether both hands are on the bars and then limits the engine speed and then shuts down after 10 seconds.

The elastic really doesn't seem like a well thought out "solution"

Edited by dan williams

Mines also on the left.

1- I made the elastic shorter]

2- I could flick the magnet off with my thumb if I had to

3- After the effort I put into staying feet up replacing and removing the magnet is the last of my worries.

During last evenings ride I came across my mate lying among rocks in a creak, it did not look to bad until I got closer and saw that his leg along with his boot and rear mudguard had all been dragged up by the rear wheel and was jammed up against the air box area, he could not get himself out, it took two of us to free him. 

I know he was glad he had a lanyard switch. 

Cheers Taff

I have mine on the clutch side so I can let go of the throttle side and just hold onto the clutch when stopped, IMO they are a good idea a mate of mine flipped his new to him GAS GAS on the 1st section of his 1st trial on the bike and blew the motor leading to a costly rebuild which included the 1st lanyard we had down this way,

I got one myself soon afterwards and have been separated from my bike a couple of times and it has worked perfectly, I know some early lanyards were too long and too stretchy but the newer ones seem to have fixed those problems.

I can flick mine off with my thumb and find it a minor inconvenience, anyway they are now mandatory to ride in competition here in Australia,

Steve,   

July%202014%20006_zps1l1gdwgq.jpg

Edited by vonhazza

I've loosely wirelocked the red stop cap to the handle bars with enough length for it to come off but restricts it from hitting me. The elastic lanyard has a plastic clip that come detached so I don't get dragged down with the big in the event of a big crash. It also ensures I turn upto the trial with the red cutout cap!

Gotta be on the left as it allows selection of neutral using your hand as these modern bikes are almost impossible to find it with your feet...

Agree with Dan Williams - I have paralled mine on the bikes I have had, so I can use the standard push button for usual stopping but have the lanyard (compulsory here in Australia) and it has worked a treat on the occasions when I decide to step off and let the bike achieve what it wants to do. All the so called negatives don't match the positives and saving the engine, spectators etc. I can reach down and shut the choke off and I have the elastic one and have never had it come off and hit me in my face - but even if it did likely to be a small little thing compared to some of the bruises that we tell the tale of on Tuesdays. We all now wear helmets whereas nothing was needed in the 70's and early 80's - we were either a lot safer or had thicker skulls back then - oh and a lot younger too??

• Like 1

Some of these comments remind me a bit of all the excuses that were made when seat belts became compulsory.

Old habits die hard.

s.e.Lucas, did you really stopped with competition just because of a piece of elastic? That's sad.

But hey, to each his own.