Poll Lanyard Kill Switch Left Or Right

automagp68

Required for competition here in Australia.

Haven't entered a competition or renewed MA licence since the rule change.

Thought it was the "no stop rule" that killed your enthusiasm ?

I have only used one years ago while racing in grass track on my scrambler, home made with a bit of string attached to a small piece of plastic cut from the bottom of an early coke bottle in between a set of points riveted onto a jubilee clip. Now I've not even got a stop button on my bike, either stall it or let go and jump when out of control !!!  :hyper:   

I prefer the right hand side. I can use clutch hand to mess with carb. Can also pull in clutch and cut engine if i need to. I think they're excellent as it takes all the thinking out of a dangerous situation.I also use a non elastic lanyard of ebay.

I have only used one years ago while racing in grass track on my scrambler, home made with a bit of string attached to a small piece of plastic cut from the bottom of an early coke bottle in between a set of points riveted onto a jubilee clip.   

When I was a youngen riding a TY80 doing shows and parades with my Dad and Brother we had the same type of set up.  This would kill the engine if we fell off, lessening the chance of a spectator being hit.  Dad also added an Emergency brake to his Reflex, not exactly sure how it work but there was an electric motor that would pull the rear drum brake arm engaging the rear brake.  I think he had a second set of points on the handlebars that would engage if he was separated from the bike.

When riding I never even notice having that bit of string on my wrist.  (Left side)

(Side note: We called ourselves Team Thud...........that sound that is made when the human body contacts the ground after falling off the bike)

• Like 2

Usually, I let the laynard around handlebar, not in my arm. I can turn the bike off with my thumb moving the red thing a little. And the red thing comes back by itself 80-90% of the times.

• 1 month later...

Coming from years of riding different kinds of bikes, all of which did not have them, I can honestly say I quite like having it. Now that I'm used to it being there I never have an issue stopping the bike or any of the above issues either. Just mount it close enough to the grip where you can flick it off if needed. I would think there could be a way to modify or add something to the top of the magnet so that you could flip the little bugger off if needed with your thumb like a kill switch if wanted to. I could suggest a devise that would give you leverage and would simulate the action of a push button therefore lifting the magnet off the switch. Sure wouldn't be that hard to invent and from what I've seen of this sport I cannot imagine why you'd want to ride one of these things without one. There is no way you're going to get to that manual kill switch in time when you have to get off in a hurry. No way I'm going to stand at the bottom of a hill or rock and watch my bike hung up on the top, running at 6000RPM upside down until it blows up. 

Got to watch a rider (Who installed one for it`s positive benefits) five a section today as it came off and stalled the bike for no seen reason. Instant five on a clean ride. It could be very bad for a bike to stall at the wrong moment. I`ve ridden trials for 42 years, never blew up a motor or launched a bike into a spectator. And yes I`ve had more than my share of spectacular crashes. Leave my kill button alone.

• Like 2

My friend fell on his right side and pinned the throttle wide open.  The engine seized before he got to it.  Fortunately, it was only a piston, rings and cylinder - it loosened up when it cooled and he didn't need to split the case.

A lanyard kill switch is no guarantee a seizure won't happen - 2T engines can run away under certain circumstances even if the ignition is cut.  The idea is to kill the engine before the throttle gets pinned open.

I have 2 bikes; one with and one without the lanyard.  I've fallen off both without incident.  But, I feel much more comfortable riding with the lanyard.  Knowing I have that added level of protection, I'm more willing to ride harder.

The elastic on my lanyard is dead - there's very little stretch left so I don't worry about being hit in the eye (or worse).

I've ridden 40 hours since fitting the lanyard kill switch.  The magnet is powerful and has never simply fallen off.  That seems like a near impossibility to me.  I ride a lot of logs and rock - lots of up and down movement and hard landings.

Mine is on the left.

I'll fit a lanyard to my other bike, shortly, and I'll fit one on my new 4RT.

The only inconvenience I find with the lanyard is the inability to touch my neck or face while riding (wipe sweat, remove mud/insects).

• Like 1

I have mine on the left. I also have a kill switch redundantly on the right to kill the bike with my thumb. The lanyard is a quick way for me to remove as much ignition as possible when chaos occurs (often for me)

Couple of notes:

-We have extra magnets that I have made. Always have extras.

-I keep my magnet off of the bike so that if it gets stolen they would have to know something to get my bike started. Mag tethers are not common here so most people wouldn't know what they are looking at or how it works.

-If you forget or lose your tether in an event you have to wear the one made out of a bra strap and will be called "Nancy" for the rest of the day.

-If you throw a fit in the middle of an event and toss your hands up in the air you WILL catapult your lanyard into the stratosphere and will then be forced to ask to become "Nancy" for the rest of the event. (WGASA Jethro can tell you that one)

--Biff

• Like 3