Titanium Stand

hannu

Are titanium side stands worth the cash ???

I have one on my 4RT, going up a steep mud bank Wednesday night, couldn't quite make the top so had to bail laying the bike down on its side. It slid back down a bit till it dug in, nothing special no speed or rocks involved it just dug in and just the weight of the bike managed to bend the side (at the location of the bend) 90". Really didn't expect titanium to bend like that, may as well get alloy for the price. Any thoughts ?

They're strong and very light and do the job they are made for, that's why we buy them, but when the part is put under strain and weight it wasn't design to take, it will fail. The mitani ti stands are very light and are much better than the OEM part, but if you put the bike on its stand and then sat on it, feet up, it would probably bend. Ti is stronger than steel and 40% lighter, but it's not indestructible.

ATEOTD, you pays your money and takes your chance. Most good riders don't bother with side stands, as they can catch on things, but it's very convenient to have a stand, as sometimes there's nowhere to lean your bike up against. If the stand was strong enough not to bend, it would be much heavier.

Titanium isn't stronger than steel for an equal amount of material. It is stronger as a strength to weight ratio. Depending on the alloy (titanium 6AL4V) is stiffer but will micro-fracture when flexed beyond its elastic limit. Like aluminum bending it back weakens it severely.

Anyone who's had a street riding friend sit on their trials bike while the stand's down knows how easily they bend. Street riding friend is always shocked but never offers to pay for a replacement I've noticed.

The side stand, you need them if there are no trees at hand.

The side stand is prune to get scratches and has to withstand a lot.

In my personal two 2 cent opinion:

I feel very comfortable with a steel unit, can be rebend and too

painted with the rattle can in need.

• Like 1