Oset 16.0 Alternate Rear Tyre

Hi,

I think you should know that the whole subject of tyres for electric and C/D class machines is under review by the ACU Trials and Enduro Committee and in the meantime it seems important that you should ensure that any tyre you use is to the current specification in the ACU Handbook.

I bought another tyre on eBay. It is a 3.0x16. Much better than the original tyre. At a trial last weekend the original tyres we're spinning on a grassy uphill where as ours didn't.

If your doing rounds where they check the tyres then but original, if they don't then dont.

I am yet to attend a trial where this is checked. At the end of the day this is about kids learning to ride, having an effective tyre is important.

The kids were so demotivated when they kept spinning up and stopping.

• Like 1

3.00 by 12 pit bike tyres fit. Search for Oset tyres and pay £35 or this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pit-Dirt-Bike-3-00-12-Tire-Tyre-300-12-SDG-Wheel-Knobbly-12-12-Inch-Rim-80-100-/171821951624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item280162ea88) is identical for £15. I ordered the expensive one, realised it's just a cheap Chinese pit bike tyre and found the cheaper one.

They're a bit tight to fit and a bit heavier, but you can run them virtually flat and they seem to give much better grip.

hillary - you prompted me to search for the sections in the ACU handbook, see that copied below. For a start it says E class is small wheel, yet the Oset 16 has 16" wheels front and rear? Does this mean E class riders must ride a 12.5? As for the tyre section, I've just tried to apply it to the new pit bike tyre, the only bit it seems to fail on is the "blocks must be parallel with or at right angles to the tyre axis". Surely nobody is going to stop a 4 or 5 year old from riding because they have the wrong tyre!!

D Class Medium wheel 80cc, and Electric up to 7 bhp measured at the rear wheel
D Class Small wheel 50cc Mono and 80ccTwinshock, and Electric up to 2 bhp measured at
the rear wheel
E Class Small wheel Electric powered machines up to 2 bhp measured at the rear wheel
Wheel sizes
Standard Wheel – 21" Front – 18" Rear
Medium Wheel – 19" Front – 17" Rear
Small Wheel – 16" Front – 14" Rear
The above is based on the wheels of combustion engined machines using motorcycle tyres.If
other wheels are used as on current Electric powered machines then the outside diameter (total
circumference) of the tyre must not exceed that of the corresponding tyre size

Tyres. Only tyres which conform to the following specification may be used. All
tyres will be measured mounted on the rim inflated to a pressure of 14 lbs/sq.in,
and must have a nominal aspect ratio of 100/100. Overall width (O) measured at
wheel spindle height must not exceed 115mm. (Refer to diagram). Tread depth
(A) must not exceed 13mm. All tread blocks in the same circumference must be
of the same depth. The space between the tread blocks (B) must not exceed
9.5mm across the tyre or 13mm in a circumferential direction ©. The space
between the shoulder blocks (D) must not exceed 22mm. The space across the
tread (E) must not extend completely across the tyre measured at right angles to
the tyre wall unless broken by a block. All main tread blocks must in principle
be parallel with or at right angles to the tyre axis. (Tyre must have the samea

ppearance if reversed and conform in principle with these diagrams). The tyre surface must not be
fitted with any subsequently mounted elements such as anti-skid devices, chains, etc. NB: Only tyres
available from commercial sources and complying with these dimensions are permitted in
competitions. Where the event uses the public highway, tyres must be manufactured to comply with
European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation and have the relevant markings.

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

My son did his first trials sunday

brand new Oset 16.0 Kendal tyre struggled

Quite a few riders said "it needs a new tyre that"

when I said it was brand new on Wednesday they seemed surprised.

have he rules changed with the ACU then.

id like to put on a wider tyre

• 1 year later...

• 11 months later...

For years I kept coming back to this thread hoping for some new information! And out of extreme need I decided to experiment so I can let others know what they can do for their kid's 16 which greatly improves their riding.  Firstly, the info above is correct. Technically a 3.00x12 tire DOES fit.  Like all dirt bike tires, it does take a bit of work getting the new tire on so I suggest leaving them in the sun for a few hours to soften the compound and use a bit of soapy water for lubricant.  The OSET rims are not incredibly durable compared with a standard kids dirt or trials bike (say a Honda CRF70 or Beta 80).

End result:  I used a Shinko SR241 3.00x12 ($28 USD) and a Kenda 2.75-3.00x12 tube ($7 USD), running at 2-3 psi, all sourced from Rocky Mountain.  And its working amazingly!

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/shinko-sr241-series-trials-tire-p?s=1247593

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/kenda-motorcycle-tube-p?s=62843

oset16-rear.tire1.jpg

oset16-rear.tire2.jpg