Where Are The Electric Trials Bikes For Adults Already?

feetup

I'm wondering what happened to the momentum behind Competition capable e-bikes?  I have a video from 10 years ago that showed a prototype from Montesa,  We know  Gas Gas showed Raga on what seemed to be a solid looking prototype, where is that? the Em.7 is out there and looks like the best option available, but not much else has developed in the past few years. Beta? Sherco? Nothing that I'm aware of. 

There was this huge push, practically a mandate few years back  by the FIM to make 4T bikes, those still are out there but with the mandate gone it seems 2T bikes are (thankfully) just as if not more popular than ever,  good, but  the innovation  with e-bikes for Trials appears  non-existent.  What gives?  There is so much potential.  I think a lot of people would buy/trade in their gas bikes for electric if there were more options than just the Em.7

What do you think?

No quite on topic but.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks like this.

To produce electricity you usually burn fossil fuels so you use this to power something that would burn a fossil fuel in the first place.

Then you've got a battery that won't last forever and will be made of something pretty dodgy . 

As trials bikes use about a teaspoonful of fuel a just don't get it.

Just think of everything you use that works from a battery,that's right,rely on it at your peril.

• Like 2

Derr OTF when F1 had a refuel it was the same deal except of course they did manage to fuel the same car. All it needs is a bigger battery or a quickly detachable one. Doing a battery change on something that powerful doesn't sound like a good idea so they need a bigger battery

from a trials point of view its more about land access / pollution / noise. Yes its a fossil fuel generating electricity, that may change in time, however compared to the national grid a few osets  is nothing and that fuel is being burnt anyway. Failed logic I know but no land no trials so I can live with it

why on earth would one of the established trials manufacturer wish to reinvent the wheel.. they make a wrold class product and sell very few probably all bar one lose money on every bike.. look at gasgas where they have led others will follow

I am a big electric bike fan, and have a full size bike that I sometimes use. the cost of ownership is so much less than a normal gas bike, performance of a electric trials bike is just about as good as a gas bike for 95% of peoples ability, there is no noise so this open up more riding places. Battery tec is very good already and its only going to get better and cheaper. F1-e is in its infancy so give it a brake :-)  just like the zero TT was only 5 years ago and the bikes in the zero TT have evolved over the last 5 years upto the point where they are not that far behind the gas versions now, The gas bikes took over 80 years to achieve this.

Its not always fossil fuses that are used to produce electricity  ,, a gas bike not only burns the fossil fuel, just think how much fossil fuel was use to produce / transport and deliver the fuel to the pump.

Im no tree hugger but it just makes so much sense using electric and the advantages far out way the disadvantages .  

and believe it or not petrol is pretty dodgy and is a lot more harmful to your health and environment than modern battery tec .

edit:

why on earth would one of the established trials manufacturer wish to reinvent the wheel..

its because its the way things are going and there is a demand for good electric off/on road bikes and upto now its been held back by the big manufactures and the only ones that are about, that are any good have been built in someones garden shed at great expense. The only way to get the prices down is completion and volume , and this is the same with anything.

Edited by gwhy

It is a fallacy that there are no emissions. The power has to come from somewhere. That's why I'm so entertained by the electric car fanboys who don't realize that when the majority of cars are pure electric the grid won't be able to handle it and require major upgrades. The same way diesel fuel was cheap until there was enough demand from diesel cars to drive the price up.

As far as noise goes I firmly believe it won't have the major effect on land access it is touted to have. On the occasion I've had to deal with those opposed to ORV use noise is always the trump card but when you drill down through the layers you find it is about control. Around here the state forests are ringed with commercial stables. Since they've banned motorbikes from every forest they've moved on to mountain bikes because they cause erosion and scare the horses.

• Like 1

I'm hopefully picking up a new Oset 2'0 racing today but nothing on a green ticket  made me buy it,

It's about ease of operation and low maintenance.

If we found oil under Stonehenge it would be bottoming for the road there before you could charge it up.

However I will feel a lot better when I arrive at the next trial in my 3 litre jeep knowing I've done my bit.   

we certainly don't want to fall into the trap that the hunting fishing groups did thinking that because they deemed there hobby was in there opinion had less impact that they were safe . fact is if it be electric petrol trials bikes motor cross or endure they will try to impose some kinds of restrictions on it it. if its emissons and you switch to electric bikes then what your damaging the environment disturbing wildlife impacts on the local fauna and flaura upsetting the locals noise pollution etc etc etc. believe it or not there are people out there who sole purpose in life is to make everybody else as mundane sh!te and make the rest of us as big as miserable bstrds as them.

• Like 3

I agree that there will always be some selfish tosser out there trying to ruin everyone's fun but I honestly think electric bikes are the future. They open up a whole new opportunity for inner-city riding. Imagine a purpose built indoor trial arena or supercross track. It could be financially viable because it would be in densely populated areas and no-one could complain! 

For me, having the option to have more freedom where I ride would be amazing. I would have absolutely no qualms about riding an electric bike anywhere mountain bikes go. 

I was thinking that when my current 2001 bike finally gives up, I'd get a new petrol bike but now I'm seriously considering getting an EM5.7

https://youtu.be/DaIY1je1rok

I had a ride on that EM5.7 used in the youtube video last weekend and greatly enjoyed it. It is certainly very different in response to a petrol motor, but I reckon I could get used to it.

The thing I liked the most was that there are less things for your mind to deal with while riding. It was uncannily relaxing to come to rest, balance, then ride away without any brainpower being used managing a clutch and avoiding stalling.

I recommend having a go on one of you get the opportunity

More riding areas have already opened up for electric only within the the uk so don't knock it , unfortunately not for trials but electric only mx , planning permission would not have been granted if the tracks were for gas bikes.

I currently charge my battery's from solar and the weather we are having at the moment the battery's are fully charged in 3 hours so its a double bonus and yes when the sun goes in or its not about i use the grid. cost for my road bike works out around 2p a mile when charging off the grid 

Of coarse the electric comes from somewhere.. and its a argument that will go on and on but its all about cost , its so much cheaper to produce your own electric and cut out the middle man.. oil refineries who produce petrol or diesel can not function, produce or deliver with out electric 

the electric V petrol argument is irrelevant I am all for electric bikes but as soon as they become more popular rest assured some git will complain that about them doing as much damage to the environment or having the same impact as  standard trial bikes I totally agree electric bikes have a future but don't think they are the be all and end all to certain peoples prejudices to off road biking because they are not and never will be. they are an excellent bike from what I have seen and are for the vast majority of riders a viable alternative .but in the 2nd market they are not available in the volumes as are there petrol equivevlant at this present time due to limited production especially in regards to an adult bike. and to be brutally honest I can not afford to purchase a new petrol bike let alone a new electric bike. even though theres not much between them  if on the other hand a 2nd EM motion was for sale in my budget range and peoples budgets vary I would consider it not because I am put off by the tech but by its 2nd hand availability .

and please don't fall into the trap of deluding yourself that because I have an electric trial motor cross bike etc I have willy wonkas golden ticket you don't its just easier for lobbyists do gooders etc to devide and conquers each group individually like what happened with fieldsports.

• Like 1

I totally agree, there will always someone ready to put a spanner in the works but from my experiences over the last 4 years I have not any issues with riding where I like when I like. It makes a big difference if the bike can not be heard by passers-bys or local residents and if they cant see you then they don't even know you are there. it will be interesting to see what happens when Oset releases the 24.0 and Im sure that a full size bike will not be far behind it.