Where Are The Electric Trials Bikes For Adults Already?

feetup

and guess what will happen next poxy daily newspaper exclusive stealth bikes menace WORLD EXCLUSIVE I can just picture it see it now . now I was out walking fido when a group of ruffians sped pass me on there electric trials MX enduro bikes I tell you now I swear on my mothers eyes I never heard um saw um coming gave me the fright of my life and poor fido has never been the same since we are too terrified to too go out I am on to my local MP plod ASAP to sort this out straight away.

more to the point what is the law regarding electric bikes etc on the highway common ground ??

There is a Spanish e-bike coming out to be called a 'Dragonfly,' designed I understand by some of the trials world's top honchos (thank you James).

Full size adult bike apparently.

• Like 1

Despite what I said before I'm still giving serious consideration to buying one. The motor development seems to be right on and batteries are much better now than just a few years ago. I'd just like to see a few more manufacturers get into the game.

Also not quite on topic but the electric "alternative" to Formula 1 needs the drivers to change cars half way through a race as the car doesnt have to ability to run the whole distance. Derrrr way to go i think. 

So when the Wright brothers first flight flew for just 12 seconds and covered 120 feet a lot of people mocked them too ! Innovation takes great visionary minds and fortunately for you, there are other people who have them :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33481505

Edited by atomant
  • Like 4

I know they have sold a few of the EM clubman and sportsman at inch perfect trials but as I have never ridden either bike could someone please educate me on the difference. I do know that the owner who has one for his experience days says its very popular and in great demand.

Oset is building a market for themselves. They're basically creating a group of young riders that will grow up only on electric and by the time they're old enough for one I have no doubt that oset will have a full size competition model.

My son rides one and he's constantly on my case to get an electric bike so we can rode around the house together. That and he hates my exhaust hitting him in the face. My next bike will definitely be electric, probably an em5.7 next year. It just opens up a lot of riding opportunities that I don't want to forgo.

• Like 1

I have two Osets for our boys (aged 2 and 4) and a Sherco for Daddy. The Osets are fantastic for getting kids into riding. I didn't ride a bike until I was about six, yet our eldest is popping wheelies and competing in trials at just four! The fact they are simple (switch on, rev and go) and can be ridden anywhere (local parks) mean the kids can get hours and hours in practicing in places that just wouldn't be possible on a petrol bike. I also love the low maintenance of them - hose wash off, dry a bit, oil up, check chain tension and you're ready to go again. Much easier than stripping a carb off. Good sealing of electrics would result in an electric bike you could fully submerge, drag out and ride away, no plug out, upside down draining of an engine! 

Oset will soon release the 24" version which will just about bridge the gap to the adult EM. I predict there will be a whole generation that will avoid petrol and just carry on with electric to adulthood, avoiding having to learn to use a clutch. I agree with the comments about lack of second hand adult electric bikes, if I could get a second hand EM for £2k I'd have one, can't justify £5.5k when that would get me a new, highly developed factory version of a petrol bike.

It's not really about the environmental fuel impact, you'll always burn more fuel transporting the bike to the trial! It'd be great to go riding with the boys in the local woods on a full sized electric, although I do believe it wont be long before the law catches up and these are banned too. Imagine dozens of EM's tearing up a Peak District bridal way, the argument that it's just a mountain bike with a motor wouldn't hold up long!

• Like 1

I totally agree, there will always someone ready to put a spanner in the works but from my experiences over the last 4 years I have not any issues with riding where I like when I like. It makes a big difference if the bike can not be heard by passers-bys or local residents and if they cant see you then they don't even know you are there. it will be interesting to see what happens when Oset releases the 24.0 and Im sure that a full size bike will not be far behind it. 

Am with Gwhy here - I ride a KTM Freeride E, it takes me places a gas bike can't. If I see people I stop and have had absolutely no negative comments. I can ride from my door to lots of single track in woods where very few people go anyway - it is the best dirt bike I have owned for this reason.

I was turned onto electric bikes after I changed my son from an SX50 to an Oset 20, he was able to ride the bike everyday as opposed to the occasional use he got out of the offensively noisy 2 stroke SX50.

E bikes for off road are the way forward, check this riding centre out right next to housing in England E-SCAPE as an example of what can be achieved when there is no noise pollution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...