Where Are The Electric Trials Bikes For Adults Already?

feetup

I've also ridden the em and it was Def powerful and had multiple settings so it could be toned way down. I still prefer my gas motor though

Can I ask why you prefer gas ?  is it because it was so different to ride?

• 7 months later...

No quite on topic but.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks like this.

To produce electricity you usually burn fossil fuels so you use this to power something that would burn a fossil fuel in the first place.

Then you've got a battery that won't last forever and will be made of something pretty dodgy . 

As trials bikes use about a teaspoonful of fuel a just don't get it.

Just think of everything you use that works from a battery,that's right,rely on it at your peril.

This is wrong, the analysis shows that using an average of the efficiencies of producing electricity versus fuel for the internal combustion engine, the power needed to produce the gas engine versus electric and batteries, producing and running electric motors and batteries is much more efficient overall.  I love internal combustion engines, but I have researched it, wanting to find as you write.  But it's not that way.  So I have reluctantly changed stance, for power efficiency from cradle to death of the devices including the power used to run them, electric wins at its current state, and will only get better.  

I will even buy an electric trials when a good adult one has proven itself.    

• 3 months later...

As a long time and older EM owner I enjoyed the dialogue above and so to add my 2 cents cos I can...

I compete at a relaxed level in local trials:

• its competitive at the level of most mere mortals
  • low speed control is far easier than most clutch/throttle balancing, cos its just throttle
  • It never stalls
  • It always starts
  • The engine when stationary has no gyro effect so improve your balancing
  • I don't do splatters
  • It has incredible grip
  • It takes time (months not minutes) to adapt, timing is different so logs and steps need practice
  • I've ridden it through water up to mid point on the motor and it didn't fizz and steam
  • I have to shout "Rider" loudly before I enter the section
  • It creates interest and sometimes amazement at what it can achieve
  • I have not yet (at my level) found a section that the bike was the limiting factor.
  • I ride club trials with short loops, I would not enjoy long loops.
  • The whine can get to you on the trail, greasing the primary chain helps. (Is there a conversion to toothed belt available?)
  • Club trials I have never exhausted the battery, have got to red so...
  • I have a small (1500w) back up generator for house power outs, I take it with me, as sometimes I need to charge at the end of the trial as people want to borrow the bike. It takes about half a litre of gas to recharge from 40% (average battery status at the end of most trial)
  • I don't mind lending my bike - there is so little to break, no clutch to smoke, engine to over rev, rad or gas tank to puncture.
  • Longer loops I plug in for 20 minutes when I stop for refreshment, top up every opportunity is the key to using electric - just like a cell phone.
  • When I first got the bike it took some time to get the power controller parameters right, it had a habit of cutting out on hard hill climbs if you went over a log.  Settings came from EM that fixed this about 2 years ago.  It is very easy to tailor the power settings (that said - I haven't touched my settings since the factory recommendations).
  • Early lesson for all EM riders - when you fail on an uphill climb, apply the brakes or keep a little power on, everyone seems to do the scary backward freewheel once, there is no stalled engine or clutch to stop you plummeting back down the hill backwards.
  • If waiting in line - switch off, if you or someone else without thinking tweaks the throttle you will take off like a started deer - taking others with you.
  • Top speed is about screaming level in 2nd gear on a gas trials bike
  • Tight trails are great fun loads of easy power until you hit top speed them blah - thats it, something that never happens on a gas bike.
  • Get used to being left in the dust on the faster trail rides
  • I'm used to being called "Sparky"
  • Notice how smelly and irritating to the eyes gas bike exhausts are (try to impose a no idling rule  :closedeyes: )
  • End of the day I wash it, park it in the basement (no smell of gas) and charge it (about 50 minutes), ready for the next trial
  • I have never had a complaint from neighbours when practicing, just "omg what is he doing now". In fact the bike just gets friendly acceptance and interest everywhere I ride.
  • I enjoy the ease and simplicity, and it works for me, but a replacement to all the functions a gas bike can offer it is not.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how long it's going to take before anyone produces any sort of Hybrid bike for any market?

There might be some positive points for a Hybrid trials bike.

You'd get instant torque from the electric motor.

Smaller IC engine would run more efficently and carrying less fuel would offset some battery weight issues.

Smaller batteries than full electric would reduce weight and they'd have no batttery range issues.

Supposedly cleaner emissions.

And as with Hybrid cars, they could be configured to run only on electric under certain conditions, so you might charge the battery with the IC engine between sections or vice versa.

The batterys are not a weight problem .. they are very light for what they can produce  its more to do with space. The EM is very heavy for what it is and the motor is a main contributor to this.

Hybrid cars are configured the wrong way round as most are gas as the primary which is not so good as gas is not very efficent and dont produce torque like electric. There was a prototype hybrid car in 2006 developed in the UK that claimed to produce 300bhp had a range 300miles on 1 liter of fuel between a full recharge, the top speed was not that great but more than enough to get your licence taken away from you, it was poo pooed by the uk goverment on some red tape thing and also BMW as it was based around the BMW minicooper so was never allowed to go into production, this was a UK designed electric car that ticked all the right boxes but it was shut down ( I wonder why ). and now the motors and tech that was developed in the UK for the copper are now no longer available in the UK , there are some of the features of the original concept now appearing on Audi, BMW and Merc's but the electric motors are now made in Germany and not for sell to the public.. go figure  :wall:

The Car manufactures have the tech but dont want to use it yet as they have to much investied in there engine factories .

Bikes are a little different due to space restrictions so i dont think you will ever see a true hybid bike as it all just takes up space that can be used to fit more battery's.

Hybrids that are "Atkinson Cycle" IC engines charging batteries driving the wheels (no IC to wheels connection) seems the way to go, like the old Diesel Electric trains and ships I think.  A small propane powered IC constantly running the motor in regen could maybe keep the batteries charged while you peruse the magical line for a clean.  Just seems to lose some of the I'm electric cachet - but it would give range.

Hybrids that are "Atkinson Cycle" IC engines charging batteries driving the wheels (no IC to wheels connection) seems the way to go, like the old Diesel Electric trains and ships I think.  A small propane powered IC constantly running the motor in regen could maybe keep the batteries charged while you peruse the magical line for a clean.  Just seems to lose some of the I'm electric cachet - but it would give range.

engines on locos diesel electrics are for all intents and purposes a donkey engine they are there to provide power to either an ac generator or alternator which converts the AC to DC to power traction motors on the wheels. a true electric loco say like a brush built class 92 is far more powerfull than its diesel electric counterpart.and lighter so in theory a electrics trial bike should give more grunt than a petrol version but the tech isn't quite there yet .funny thing is the vast majority of british freight locos running round the networks are 2 stroke diesels.

For simplicity, reliability, power to weight ratio and low manufacturing costs a piston ported 2T engine is about as good as you can get. Using modern oils they run very clean, virtually no smoke or deposits.

2 T Gasoline engines invented in 1880s

Batteries were invented several hundred years ago, possibly 2000 years ago.

The electric motor was invented in the 1850s.

So in fact electric propulsion has been around much longer than gasoline 2T yet cannot match it despite its longer development period.

See what happened at this years TT zero.

For simplicity, reliability, power to weight ratio and low manufacturing costs a piston ported 2T engine is about as good as you can get. Using modern oils they run very clean, virtually no smoke or deposits.

2 T Gasoline engines invented in 1880s

Batteries were invented several hundred years ago, possibly 2000 years ago.

The electric motor was invented in the 1850s.

So in fact electric propulsion has been around much longer than gasoline 2T yet cannot match it despite its longer development period.

See what happened at this years TT zero.

Simplicity !   .... you got to be kidding .. 1 moving part in a electric motor ( 3 if you include the bearings ) .. 

reliablility  ... with only 1 moving part in a electric motor,reliability is going to be better

Manufacturing cost  ....its got to be cheaper to make a electric motor with its very few moving parts and the much reduced weight and size.

power to weight ... Electric motors wins hands down , if you dont think so then do some research

efficency  maybe a very good 2T can achive 65%  but even a bad electric can achive 90%

Yes modern 2T can run very clean but you still would not want to suck on the end of the exhaust pipe

In the short time that I have been involved with the develoment of EV's I have seen the development of battery tech come on leaps and bounds .. halved the size, 3rd of the weight, doubled in capacity and higher discharge rates. 

Edited by gwhy
  • Like 1