Are 125's Made For Lighter Riders As Standard? 65Kg Rider

cubbon77

Hi,

Of course trials is down to good technique but well set up suspension and bike lightness must help?

125mx bikes and 125 enduros come set up for lighter riders.

Is it the same with trials bikes?

Im 65KG.

Thanks

the gasgas and sherco 125s we have had new have come exactly the same as the bigger bikes, although on one bike we had a slightly lower rated rear spring on the shock. the recent ones have been the same though. the 125s also some times have a 'compressor' in the front pipe which helps to create more bottom end grunt. also obviously they will have different jets in the carbs. the 125 bike weighs the same as the 300s albeit the weight difference in the crank and cyclinder. they just feel lighter to ride somehow which i dont understand haha.

I'm 99% sure I'm way too heavy for my current Beta 125. I'm 100 kg (15.7 stone) and trying to loose weight ASAP as I know this cannot be good for my riding the bike. From what I've heard most of the bikes are made for around the average weight of professional riders. Which is about ~50-80kg, I've read many posts on here where people have had good success upgrading to heavy duty suspension to handle the weight, but I'd rather just lower my weight than mess with the bike. 

First time I dabbled in this sport I had a 315 250 while I had no trouble riding it I always felt a little overpowered as a beginner. After a 5 year break I picked up a 125 sherco and have really meshed with it. At 80kg the bike has no trouble lugging me around and I'm more confident to open her up fully when I need to.

After today I think I need to adjust the rear shock a bit.. Maybe a little heavier than the previous owner.

Thanks for the replies.

I've just had a horrible trial today on my 4rt and I'm actually thinking a 125 might be just the tool I'm after.

I have access to a Beta 125 as well as my 4RT. I am 88kgs and on the wrong side of 50. Love my 4RT. The principal advanatge of a 125 is, I find, that it is light. And when you are tired or pushing yourself to learn a new ability, lightness helps and when you put a leg down on top of a log, or on a slippery bank, to balance the bike after a move has gone wrong. Lightness makes saving it easier. Even if it is the bad leg. It takes less effort to restore balance to the bike and rider combo. And for the same physical effort, the bike moves around more.

I only miss the 4RTs power on hill climbs. Or between secions on higher speed trails? On short wind-it-up-and-launch steps or logs I prefer the 125.

Friends say the 125 makes me ride it more aggressively. This is a good thing.

The 125 makes me think ahead, operate in a higher rev range, and it has taught me to slip the clutch as a launch device and for traction on hills. If I had one bike and it was a125, would I be thinking ' this is a mistake, can' t wait to sell it'. No. I'd be thinking I bet I can float over the surface of that stream without getting my tyres wet while those Raga GG 300 owners with their overly large horsepower reserves dig a Red Sea sized trench to the streambed.

Edited by ross brown
  • Like 1

the gasgas and sherco 125s we have had new have come exactly the same as the bigger bikes, although on one bike we had a slightly lower rated rear spring on the shock. the recent ones have been the same though. the 125s also some times have a 'compressor' in the front pipe which helps to create more bottom end grunt. also obviously they will have different jets in the carbs. the 125 bike weighs the same as the 300s albeit the weight difference in the crank and cyclinder. they just feel lighter to ride somehow which i dont understand haha.

125cc are lighter than biggers bikes.

3kg less for an evo than a 250 & +.

The main difference is the flywheel and the crankchaft and the primairy transmission (weight deleted on the 125cc)

Imagine a 125 evo factory (more than 2kg less than standard series)

That's why the handling is so good with 125cc