First Aid Kit.

sirdabalot

After witnessing a nasty injury today, I wondered about the practicalities of organising clubs to provide observers with a basic first aid kit for use at each or every other section. I know costs would not be too high, I am not suggesting observers carry out first aid, as legal claims could be sought against them (yes it's a sad fact), but at least riders could tend to themselves.

Fortunately the observer on the section where the rider was injured today had a kit to hand, which was a great help.

• Like 5

Never happen, the red tape, insurance, bureaucracy would be staggering, it would take risk assessment’s at every meeting, a highly paid panel to decide which first aid kits should be issued, a doctor on site to ensure the first aid kit was used correctly, a two week medical course for all observers, the list continues, I hate what this Countries turned into some times.

Never happen, the red tape, insurance, bureaucracy would be staggering, it would take risk assessment’s at every meeting, a highly paid panel to decide which first aid kits should be issued, a doctor on site to ensure the first aid kit was used correctly, a two week medical course for all observers, the list continues, I hate what this Countries turned into some times.

Just done my First Aid at Work 2 day refresher, (3 days from scratch) lasts for 3 years - I always carry a kit in the car, but you don't need a FAK to give aid and your covered automatically for 3 years by your training organisation against claims etc.

Not so red taped as you may think :thumbup:

• Like 3

As a paramedic riding in a trial I can provide first aid and my liability insurance is provided by the NHS ( My employer). However if it was pre-arranged that I was there to provide cover then I would have to arrange my own liability insurance and the cost becomes prohibitive. If a club wanted to provide first aid at an event by far the simplest way is to hire one of the many private first aid companies, but I feel that the cost would just be too prohibitive for most clubs.

Very interesting and informative posts. So if a club did supply first aid kits to observers and with their permission, a rider helped themselves to a plaster for a grazed finger there could be repercussions?

I suppose riders could carry a few plasters/bandages with them, but sods law dictates, that if someone needs them, that person will be a mile away on the route.

Copy of correspondence between the Club and the ACU:

Hi Peter

Richard has kindly forwarded me your email regarding Bradford’s concerns about the circumstances of an Official administering first aid and then possibly being held liable if as a result of this first aid assistance, further injuries were sustained by the casualty.

In a nutshell, this liability is covered in an extension to our Insurance policy. Basically it is recognised by the Insurer that sometimes a medic can be delayed in reaching the casualty and in circumstances like this the Official/Marshal may be required to perform first aid until the arrival of a suitably trained medical person.

This is all covered under our ‘Good Samaritan act’ – so any further injuries that might have been caused by a non medical person would be covered by the ACU insurance policy and supported by the ACU if any further legal claim was to arise as the individual performing such medical provision would have been doing so in an attempt to make the casualty more comfortable or to save life.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I can help any further.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary Thompson MBE BEM
General Secretary 

• Like 1

immediate first aid should not be a daunting decision. Call for help

The worst case would be a cardiac arrest where cpr is required. Two or more can switch out the preformance till rescue arrives.

Second would be neck and spine injuries. Do not move the subject. Monitor for traumatic shock.

The third most likley scenario will be broken bones and/or puncture wounds. Keep the break immobalized, add pressure to a bleeding area. Monitor for shock.

Heat exhaustion requires keeping the body cool and monitor for shock.

Hesitation or refusal to perform basic life saving proceedures is worse for the victum than any percieved mistake you might make.

• Like 1

I helped a rider, with the first aid kit I carry in my van, who got his bike on his head resulting in a not too large gash.

I think it's only normal you try to help. Nobody's going to sue you for that.

Like some above I'm a first aider at work and carry a full kit in the van, having used it only once in the last year to dress a gashed knee.

If you do carry a first aid kit - make sure all items are in date, the last thing you want to do is put a non sterile dressing on an open wound.