Elf Htx Clutch And Gearbox Oil

the addict

Not been that happy with my clutch for a few weeks now even though the oil gets changed quite regularly so time to try the ELF HTX to see what difference it makes before try different plates. I knew it would improve things but the difference has been quite incredible and much better than I could have ever imagined. The clutch is very soft and progressive and the bike will start in gear, and more importantly no more slight dragging which was becoming a problem whilst riding. Yes its expensive but I'll happily put up with that considering the result and its worked really well this morning at a local practice area not far from me, so thanks to Laurence at BVM Moto for recommending it as I was going to try something different.   

Elfhtx-500x500.jpg

Edited by the addict
  • Like 1

There's a reason why it's the oil Montesa recommend - it works

For some reason Elf don't recommend it for gearboxes with a wet clutch, but it works.

Also it doesn't seem to get dirty as quickly as other oils I tried so I just change it very 6 months, not so expensive then.

If you can track down some Mitani clutch plates it works even better

• Like 1

Not been that happy with my clutch for a few weeks now even though the oil gets changed quite regularly so time to try the ELF HTX to see what difference it makes before try different plates. I knew it would improve things but the difference has been quite incredible and much better than I could have ever imagined. The clutch is very soft and progressive and the bike will start in gear, and more importantly no more slight dragging which was becoming a problem whilst riding. Yes its expensive but I'll happily put up with that considering the result and its worked really well this morning at a local practice area not far from me, so thanks to Laurence at BVM Moto for recommending it as I was going to try something different.   

Have  used ELF HTX  since my 05 4RT and have to say I have always been happy with the clutch action, even on the  05 (although take up was a bit sudden until I got used to it) Everybody mentions the price but at 0.54 L per oil change and excellent life it really is peanuts compared to the rest of the costs of competing. If it is available use it would be my advice.

• Like 1

I find that with the GRO Gear Extreme 75W, which is the same kind of oil, the clutch is even a little smoother.

Guys, do I understand that you tried the Elf first and then found the GRO slightly better, it's just I've 2 litres of GRO 75w gear oil left from my previous bike and would use it in my new 260 4 RT.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, do I understand that you tried the Elf first and then found the GRO slightly better, it's just I've 2 litres of GRO 75w gear oil left from my previous bike and would use it in my new 260 4 RT.

Yes, i've used the Elf for a long time (in my 315R and previous 4RT), and the GRO is slightly better. I'm using it in my 2015 4RT as well, together with Mitani clutch plates.

Elfhtx-500x500.jpg

What oil were you using before?

• 2 weeks later...