Palm Pain Possibly Caused By Trials Riding?

jml

My 2 cents, Your bars look right where I would put them.

I had mine back more and it was hard on my wrists and I kept putting to much pressure on them as a result. I found that rolling them forward as you have done and raising the levers quite a bit closer to level helped me get back on the pegs more to take the weight off the bars. It did also take some practice and attention to keeping back at first but in about a week I was both riding better as I was using my feet more as well as my hands didn't hurt as much.

My levers are only down just a little from level, and the result is I can get back a lot more coming down steep hills, pull the front with less effort for floaters, wheel hops and wheelies, as well as have better control in turng do to using my feet more I sted if my hands.

My experience, hope The info helps.

Best of luck.

I have no pain, not during riding not afterwards, I only get numb hands mostly in the mornings. I use several trial techniques to practice for enduro, I mostly train balance and low speed control, I do not jump at all and I do not do dropoffs - my training mostly consists of a very steep ascents from almost a standstill (and descends the same way but riding down, not dropping off) and very little space turns (without hopping at all). When riding around I feel there is no big pressure on my hands and I do not feel like I am putting much weight on my hands either. I would say that the most weight is on my hands when I am riding steep descends even though I try to offset this with my legs. I have an OEM Beta bar, not sure what exactly the sweep is but the  shape seems to be very similar to trials renthal bar, also the forward/front position was set up for my with a help of a professional trials rider and the position is pretty comfortable so I do not believe there could be a problem here

I forgot to add that I am quite fit, 85kgs at 182cm of height

Glowa,

Are you sure you aren't contorting your wrists as you sleep? lots of people tend to do this,cuts off circulation.I tried wrist braces while sleeping but that didn't help,now I use a small firm pillow and hug it with my arm,also protects my knackered shoulder and as a side benefit it keeps me from yawing my trap open and snoring. Sorry,not taking pics of me sleeping.

Glowa,

Are you sure you aren't contorting your wrists as you sleep? lots of people tend to do this,cuts off circulation.I tried wrist braces while sleeping but that didn't help,now I use a small firm pillow and hug it with my arm,also protects my knackered shoulder and as a side benefit it keeps me from yawing my trap open and snoring. Sorry,not taking pics of me sleeping.

I do notice sometimes that my wrists are like this when I wake, but I've always wondered if this is a cause or effect of wrist pain? If you're overusing the muscles in your forearm and not stretching could this be results in wrist curling at night? Or is wrist curling at night causing muscle strain and pain during the day? I've started to stretch a lot more during the day (not before riding) but after it and this has helped with wrist curling at night. 

My 2 cents, Your bars look right where I would put them.

First or second picture? I think the first picture doesn't really give a good sense of how far forward I had them. I'm not sure why I put them that far forward. I swear last time I was adjusting them I tried to cut the center of the hand grip with the fork stanchion but somehow I've end up putting them a bit too far forward. Now when I get onto the bike I get a really nice neutral feeling which I guess is from putting most of weight on my legs (which are strong) and not on the palm of my hands. 

I guess I missed the first picture some how (maybe because of my phone?) on the PC tonight...  So the second picture.  It looks like your levers are up more in that picture and I found that was more of what put my weight back than the bar location, however that could be picture angle.  By bringing the levers up it causes me to move my body back to make my wrists more comfortable and took a lot of the pressure off my hands.  

Best of luck.  

Edited by jonnyc21

I was at my 2nd Trials event and an experienced rider told me to move my bars forward (right in line with fork tubes like you ended up with) to help get more "cockpit space" to allow for tight turns without hitting the bars against my body. Apparently, it is very common for people that ride in the woods to pull the position of their bars back some and use speed to get over obstacles. With a Trials bike, I'm often told to go slower and not try to rush getting through a section. BTW Dan, I worked the MMC NETA event (Section 4) on 10/25 and should've remembered your name, so I could've introduced myself :-) I'm bumping from Senior C to Senior B next year, so I really need to pick it up a bit to be competitive in that class.