1986 Honda Rtl 250 Cam Chain

shercosteve

Recently tracked down a 86 RTL250  here in the US, really great shape runs well other than the cam chain is noisy, Ive tried adjusting with some improvement but not enough.  I need some help on a cross reference for the chain, is it the same as a TLR or XR ?  and is front and rear brake shoes the same as another model?

Thanks, Steve

Edited by shercosteve

I don't know about the US, but the parts are quite commonly available in the UK from the likes of Dave Silver Spares. The part numbers are:

Cam chain 14401-427-003

Cam chain tensioner 14500-427-000

Cam chain guide 14550-427-000

It might be worth getting the sprockets at the same time:

Sprocket 14321-440-000

Timing sprocket 14311-KJ2-300

You'll need a small puller to get the timing sprocket off the shaft. Don't try to pull it off the shaft without a puller because it can quite easily go off square and then it's really difficult to pull off.

I found that sometimes you can get a little more tension if you take off the flywheel then you can get to the cam chain adjuster arm to get a bit more adjustment.

• Like 1

The cam chain adjusters do not automatically adjust after a few years. You need to get a long 3 mm bolt to screw into the adjuster and gently pull it up until the chain stops rattling. I usually do it while it is running so you can hear what is happening. Do not pull up more than enough to stop the chain noise.

The threaded end of a spoke is the correct thread size for this. I believe I saw this technique in a Honda manual or I read about it here in a different thread.