Honda Rtl Silencer.

joelewis

Hello 4stroke,

We were talking about your question this morning - it would be possible. At the moment though we will be concentrating on just getting the complete silencers made up.  

I sent my exhaust away again for moulds to be made of the back section ( I didn't want to do this before until I could see how the front skin came out due to costs of getting moulds made) I know it was mentioned earlier about thickening the back section to get over the fact of the rear wheel rubbing on the tyre. I aren't doing this. it will be as original. You can get over this anyway by slightly forcing the silencer out on the original bracket, you do have a slight bit of movement.

I've also borrowed a bore scope to look inside to see what the baffles look like. I've been on the look out for a knackered knocked about exhaust to cut up but nothing has come up. I certainly aren't cutting mine up.

A second prototype front section was done yesterday evening. Huge difference. still work need but hopefully you can tell the difference in this picture and the one above.

First.

rtl%20exhaust%201_zpsxleicsnx.jpg

Second.

exhaust%201_zpsetaqwli6.jpg

Thanks, Joe

Edited by joelewis
  • Like 1

Hi Joe, good work, the shape and detail are there. Still interested, but will need to know the price and see the finished silencer.

Good job, looking forward to seeing more as it comes along.

Same for me : )

Kcnarf.

Price will be around the £450, it isn't been done to a price though, the price will be however much it is to get it right.  

Although in my opinion its good when you compare it to the stock silencers you get for the TLR's at £200 - 250. Especially when you look at the quality of them compared to even at this stage the detail in one of these.

Next update will be 2 - 3 weeks, we should then have the back section with us then its just a case of fixing together / baffles / bracket / collar etc.

Was pretty exciting seeing this second template. As upto now it seemed like nothing was progressing.

Joe

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still awaiting for the return of the moulds (should hopefully be this week) Massively frustrating the time taken.

I'm also having a heat shield made for the silencer, again - should be an exact copy of this .....

rtl%20cover%201_zpsfaetalud.jpg

If this will be of interest to anyone? No idea on price yet, but as before contact me if interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

I had almost given up hope that someone could and would tackle this. :thumbup:

• I'm in for at least 1 silencer

and

• if or when​ they are available I'm equally interested in front and back "skins" to try to resurrect my current one

Now . . . where might I find a replacement mid-box portion of the exhaust?

Many thanks.

Doug

Hello Doug,

The skins would are ready now - but currently concentrating on the complete exhausts before anything else. The mid box section between the silencer and front pipe would be pretty simple to make - that wouldn't be an issue. Mine is fine so I have no need to look into it but it could be done?

Slight update. Another apology due to time taken but due to other work commitments its been on the back burner.

We got the back section mould back a couple of weeks ago, will get the back section pressed in the next week or so but the mould has come out perfect.

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas & and have a good New Year. Will update when more progress is made.

Hi Joe, no worries, it takes as long as takes, we will be patient and look forward to the next update, as and when your able. Are you going to the Telford classic bike show, that would be an ideal place for those interested to see the silencer, if it's completed by then?

Happy new year to yourself.

Hi Joe,

I mainly wanted to let you know of my interest to proceed as soon as you have either silencer units or skins that are of the quality you seek. I understand you are more focused on complete silencer units. Most reading this post are as well.

Question:

• Is the mid box some type of empty pre-chamber

or

• Is it a more complex engineered chamber

If you are unsure of what's inside, would anyone reading this know for sure?

Thank you again and do have a great New Year!

Doug

Edited by slip_kid

Hi Joe,

I mainly wanted to let you know of my interest to proceed as soon as you have either silencer units or skins that are of the quality you seek. I understand you are more focused on complete silencer units. Most reading this post are as well.

Question:

• Is the mid box some type of empty pre-chamber
or
  • Is it a more complex engineered chamber
If you are unsure of what's inside, would anyone reading this know for sure?

Thank you again and do have a great New Year!

Doug

There's nothing inside the middle box, it is purely two pressed steel halves welded together, I had mine repaired by a friend (they rot from the inside at the lowest point, from condensation) and then had it ceramic coated inside and out. Its a PITA to remove, so a better designed alloy one would be the way to go.

post-14348-0-25139700-1451642976_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jj65

• 4 weeks later...

rtl%20exhaust%20back_zpso9nutxjq.jpg

Back has gone really well - done abit of refining on the moulds and the back has come out perfect pretty much straight from the mould.

Looking to get first one built up by end of next week - end is in site!

I don't think I'll be a Telford, I want to but I think I'll be needed at work.

• Like 1