Honda Rtl Silencer.

joelewis

Back from anodised. I still need to get it lacquered, this won't happen before Telford though. Which is why it might look dull. This is what it'll be like for Telford.

I'm pleased.

Joe I'm surprised it didn't come out shinny from the anodisers, what was the finish prep on the alloy prior to taking it in?

One thought on this and maybe someone else could answer it, would Electropolishing be the answer prior to anodising?

copy%20rtl%203_zpsa5jt5pxu.jpg

That was the finish before. Spoke to Kcnarf (panerai) about it and he mentioned mirror polishing the part before anodising.

I don't understand why the silencer comes up like that yet when I got my DID rims done they came up like this?

IMG_1028_zps7561ee3c.jpg

So is it due to maybe just not receiving a lacquer?

I'll be speaking to another chap on Monday to see what he think but if anyone has any ideas please post! 

Or maybe aqua blasting, prior to anodising, which gives the part a bright finish ? I think they use a sealant after anodising (rather than lacquer). I had some rims anodised and they came out satin. It does depend on the finish of the part, but if it's polished aggressively, you'll loose the detail in the welding etc.

I must say a big thanks to you joe, for doing this,

Edited by jj65

I've had lots of anodising done over the years by a mate who works at a plating company.

The finish is dependent upon the finish of the alloy prior to anodising, so to get a bright and shiny finish from the anodising, you need a bright polished finish on the alloy. The other factor is the actual alloy itself as it can affect the way the anodising takes. I've had two rims done at the same time with the same polished finish and both in the anodising tank at the same time - different tone of colour red on each rim, despite the same treatment, dye etc.

With what they call 'bright' anodising, if you have the alloy polished to effectively a mirror finish, as with rims or engine cases, and then have it bright anodised, it gives the appearance of a mirror polish but with the benefit of being anodised which keeps it that way and immune from oxidising of the alloy which eventually dulls and corrodes a polished only finish.

They don't use lacquer on anodised parts. It's used on polished only finishes but usually to protect from oxidising rather than providing the shine.

You silencers are a fantastic job, very impressive

Edited by woody
  • Like 1

Woody has good input from experience.

Curious. Were these clear or silver anodized?

How about using the front and rear sections, generated from refining the molds, to run anodizing samples? Just be sure they are representative (alloy wise etc) of the production silencers. Scrap of the correct material could also be used.