1949 Tankard

wizardofos

I have been given a pewter tankard, found at a car boot sale, bearing the inscription:

Scottish Six Days Trial

Won by

R.Clayton

It has the usual "Haud Forrit"  E+DMC logo.

Can anyone shed a light on who R. Clayton was and what he won in 1949 (as I can see from the records that he was not the outright winner).

post-4869-0-28103600-1437496728_thumb.jpg

Just found my late father's tankard from 1951 It looks smaller than yours Again no idea what was for Most likely a second class award and the larger first or special first No doubt Big j will know Who the rider was do not know but he was lucky for a ride in those days     

Hi,

The tankard was awarded as a Special First-class award to R Clayton, riding a Norton 500T, who dropped 57 marks during the week in 1949.  His performance also gained him the P S Chamberlain Challenge Trophy as the best rider in his first SSDT not having won a 'named' trophy or class award in a trade supported trial.

He later rode an AJS for the Plumstead works, and is pictured in ORRe - our digital magazine in the serialised complete history of the SSDT.

• Like 1

Just found my late father's tankard from 1951 It looks smaller than yours Again no idea what was for Most likely a second class award and the larger first or special first No doubt Big j will know Who the rider was do not know but he was lucky for a ride in those days     

Hi,

Give me a name and I will tell you what the award was for in 1951.

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

Sorry naichuff,

I, personally, would be very surprised if Mr Moffat could tell you about the results of historical SSDT's.

Such records are few and far between and I have very carefully looked after my copies over the years.

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

• 1 month later...

Hi Naichuff,

Yes I would know, your father and mine were friends for a long time, in fact it was your father that encouraged mine to take up the sport.

And as for Mr Wylde, be surprised, you are not the only one with SSDT documents or information to hand.

Regards,

Big John

• Like 3