Bash Plate For Bsa C15

davet

Can anybody advise me on which plate to use so I can manipulate to shape . Thought 6mm thickness but open to your knowledge .

Plus thinking of 3mm sheet to make a side panel .

Edited by davet

6mm for the bash plate sounds fine but a side panel in 3mm is a bit overkill IMHO. I always use 1.5 or even 1mm thick ally for side panels after all they are purely cosmetic not stress bearing and the thinner alley is easier to form to more complex shapes. Up to you really. 

:agreed:

What specification plate are you going to use for the bashplate ?

You may find a general alloy plate is too soft and will 'move' if given a big hit.

I used a second hand Bultaco bashplate which I got from fleabay for my Ariel, it required a serious power press in a mates workshop to re set the bend to suit my frame and it has not moved in the 8 years I have used it.

Duralumin is the trade name of the material used back in the 80's and there will be an equivalent available at your stockists.

• Like 1

You may find a general alloy plate is too soft and will 'move' if given a big hit.

I'd second that,

You will find second hand bashplates on ebay, something from the late eighties / early nineties when motors were wider would be suitable for modification and are generally tougher

• Like 1