Why Would Steering Head Bearings Go

f1wade

Hi Im looking at a bike with knackered steering head bearings.

I wondered how easy they are to replace beta 4t 300 2008 and why they would go in the first place, is it a sign of bad maintenance or a bike model defect?

There quite easy to replace less then an hour

Bearings can go for any reason- I've had one go

It's not always bad maintenance as once there in you don't have to really touch them apart from tighting them so often

It also possible the previous owner have used a jet wash and blew the grease out, it nothing serious and every bike will have it at some point

Quite straight forward to change, they do tend to go on off-road bikes  as do all the other chassis bearings (Wheel, suspension ect...)

Its worth buying good quality bearings from a bearing supplier (and also saves a few quid)!  

Edited by suzuki250

Do you have the fuel cap and does the fuel hose go down into the steering head stem tube? if you do then its from the fumes from the cap tube.  It breaks down the grease, had it happen to me years ago. Never had it again after i changed the fuel cap hose. hope this helps