Bar Risers

andy.t

Sorry if its been mentioned before.

I have modified some yokes in the past to move the handle bars forward but I have just fitted some nice TY250 forks and Yokes to my 175.

I didn't want to cut up the yokes like I did before so I thought I would try some Rox Risers.

I like the extra height and adjustment that they give you.

Just thought I would give it a mention for those people seeking some extra bar height :)

post-3247-0-30811400-1439832020_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

lineaway, I haven't noticed that it changes the way the bike handles. Not sure why it would but I'm sure some scientist out there is about to tell me how it does. :)

PS if that's a photo of you climbing a bloody great rock then I have to say I don't try that kind of thing on my TY so perhaps they might not be for you.

You have just lost leverage, and the ability to get far forward (Or back) on the bike.   

You mean he has just gained leverage...

The original handlebar mounting point looks inline if not slightly forward of the headstock, so moving the bars further away from this will gain him leverage.

Rather neat risers by the way

Edited by faussy

No, raising the bars compared to the foot pegs you loose leverage to control the bike. Ever wonder why you never see the good riders with silly risers. You lose a lot of response from the bars. Trials is about the ability to control through body movements. Not for a comfortable cruise on your street bike. 

• Like 2

lineaway, I haven't noticed that it changes the way the bike handles. Not sure why it would but I'm sure some scientist out there is about to tell me how it does. :)

PS if that's a photo of you climbing a bloody great rock then I have to say I don't try that kind of thing on my TY so perhaps they might not be for you.

That is my little 17 year old. He is 6` 4 inches and growing. He would laugh at the risers. The ty front forks were a great upgrade, that you ruin with risers. But if you have to use them for some medical condition, then riding is way better than watching. By the way I really enjoy vintage trials, but on the hard side.  

You mean he has just gained leverage...

The original handlebar mounting point looks inline if not slightly forward of the headstock, so moving the bars further away from this will gain him leverage.

Rather neat risers by the way

This is an example of me in 1986 on a `86 ty. With risers I would not have made this rock.

bob001_zps0e9f0462.jpg

• Like 3

No, raising the bars compared to the foot pegs you loose leverage to control the bike. Ever wonder why you never see the good riders with silly risers. You lose a lot of response from the bars. Trials is about the ability to control through body movements. Not for a comfortable cruise on your street bike. 

100% disagree. Increased mechanical advantage from an increasing of the distance between pivot point and application of force means there's undeniably an increase in leverage. Both in steering and controlling of the bike.

As for your picture, did you remember in 86 not being able to turn or lift the bike? Compare the footrest to handlebar position on your ty to any modern bike and you will see every bike has their handlebars lifted and forward. 

Sort of. Every bike has the foot pegs lowered and moved back for a central or more neutral of center of gravity. In `86 our bikes actually turned and lifted quite well for the times. If you actually know a talented rider. Have him ride a stock newer bike and one with these crazy risers. Ask him to hop a couple of 360 turns, back and forth. Issue solved. Show me one world round  rider, (Or local Champion) with more than 20mm risers. A few might have a little bit, but most have none.  By the way we are talking human leverage points. 

• Like 2

I wonder if a riser setup like that could be used, with lower bars, to move the bars forward rather than up.

It seems that it might give the rider a bit more room and use lower bars which are much easier to find than the old high rise bend bars. Anyone tried it?

• Like 1

I never said about putting risers on a modern bike, we are talking about putting risers on a ty to make it feel and ride more like a modern bike. Look at the angle of the yoke clamp. I agree these risers seem excessive, but i totally understand the idea. As said in the previous post id maybe try the riser tilted at 45 degree forward and a very flat set of bars, that would give some height and forward movement, something these bikes lack when in comparison against a modern bike. Look at the pic attached. This bike bike belongs to one of the best riders of a ty around back in the day. Look at the height and angle of the bars in comparison to the bars in your photo. Risers on a modern bike, not really, risers on a old bike like a ty to make it feel like a modern bike, yes. Styles change, id take a good guess if you transported your 2015 self having ridden modern bikes back to 1986 the first thing you would do would be to move your bars forward.

post-20677-0-71825900-1439884826_thumb.jpg

Edited by faussy

Yeah, if I went back I would be selling fat pegs. Man those skinny pegs were terrible. And if you have not been on a ty mono in awhile, it`s how tall the foot pegs are that`s was the problem. Trials bikes were obsessed with ground clearance so the foot peg height was the real killer.

• Like 1

post-19219-0-49116200-1439962235_thumb.jpgThese are the risers I have used for several years, They allowed me to go to lower bars( the bars in picture are not the ones i have been using) and move them forward some and have made the bike handle better than stock .