What Year Is My Sherco 290

mlaing545

Can anyone please tell me how to work out how old my 290 is? She needs work and in order that I get the right parts I need to know. I think it is around 2000 but just don't know for sure. Below are a couple of photos. Thanks in advance. post-21612-0-66158900-1440063859_thumb.jpgpost-21612-0-76974100-1440063867_thumb.jpg

Good question. Depends what bit you want to know the year off! Its certainly not 2000, this is the next model that ran from 2001 to 2005, so more than 95% of the parts are interchangeable 2001 to 2005. Be best to check with a sherco dealer or MRS for correct interchangeability.

Engine is 2001 or 2002, going by the ignition cover colour

Outboard rear brake caliper is 2001

Rear exhaust is 2001 (no guard holes)

Plastics look 2001, but tank maybe 2004

Frame looks 2004 2005 but im only going by the frame stickers being grey.

Id say 2001, but again dont restirct yourself to just looking for 2001 bits, up to 2005 should be largely ok.

Edited by faussy

Definitely an 01,the later muffler fits-I ended up changing mine fairly soon after the 02s came out as without the plastic guard the aluminium gets worn thin by your boots rather easily & I'd worn a small hole along the side of a dent

Motor parts are generally the same apart from gearbox, seem to remember the ratios being tweaked around that time.

Change the brake pedal to the folding tip type, you'll bend the original quite easily or snap it like I did

Keeping the ignition cover sealed will be 1 of your biggest problems, the sprocket cover will bend outwards if mud gets around the front sprocket which then distorts the cover between the bolts enough that a visible gap is created, once that happens it never really sits right again. The 06? on cover fits & is what I use on my Jarvis

Been sat in a shed for a few years not really been used much. It ran 6 months ago but needs a bit of a make over. I don't think I have dragged it backwards down a road for a while..... Bought a chain link extractor yesterday!!

Thanks for the tips tony27.

• 3 weeks later...