2016 Montesa Rr 300

montesarepsol777

I was wondering what that hose with the 90 degree connection, on the top left of the cylinder head is.

I believe that's the new fuel pump, which the factory bikes have.

It's a fuel line anyway, comes from the bottom of the fuel tank.

I saw a 2016 Repsol today and also noticed that instead of steel, the bottom of the fuel tank is made of plastic or nylon, held in place by a steel retainer.

It's a fuel line anyway, comes from the bottom of the fuel tank.

I saw a 2016 Repsol today and also noticed that instead of steel, the bottom of the fuel tank is made of plastic or nylon, held in place by a steel retainer.

The fuel line has a quick disconnect in the elbow. The fuel pump assembly is completely new, and is very similar to the fuel pump assembly on the CRF450R & CRF250R. It has a built-in pressure relief valve near the fuel pump outlet, so the external pressure regulator (that's attached to the injector assembly on earlier models), fuel return line and vacuum line are gone. The bolt pattern on the tank is completely different, and the sealing is done with 2 large o-rings with the same part numbers as the CRF450R & CRF250R.

To remove the tank with the new setup, all you need to do is remove the fuel line at the quick release connector and remove either end of the fuel pump wire (there are connectors on both ends now).

Based on the service manual pressure check procedure, the fuel pressure is higher at idle with the new fuel pump system.

Part diagrams are now on the site http://www.montesa4rt.nl/, so you can look at the fuel pump / tank (F-13) and injector assembly diagrams (E-16) to see what's described above.

Another update. I looked at a 300RR parts fiche, and the 300RR has a fuel pump from an HRC NSF250R road-racer (-NX7- part number). Interesting. The 2016 4RT260 models use a 4RT (-NN4-) part number. May be the same with some slight changes.

Edited by sportsawyer
  • Like 1

Was looking at 2016 bike yesterday. I wonder if this an improvement or just parts bin sharing. Be interesting to find out if the extra pressure makes a difference. Plastic bottom is good I suppose but rooting looks a bit congested. Wonder how replacement cost stack up against original set up.

Any feed back on the 2016 revised footrest positions

SEE THIS JUST RECEIVED from UK dealer

Engine
The COTA 300RR is fitted with a completely new engine, based on those used by Montesa Honda riders Eddie Karlsson and Oriol Noguera in Trials World Championship.
The increase in displacement to 289cc has been achieved by increasing the diameter of the piston (from 78mm to 80mm) and of the stroke (increased by 3 mm). There is a new crankshaft-rod, cylinder, piston assembly and crankcases.
The fuel pump is new, for the PGM-FI Electronic Fuel Injection system which allows more fuel flow and the ECU* has also been improved by including a new ignition mapping to optimize the performance of the new power plant.
* This only available on Full Power versions. All UK bikes are Full power versions.
One of the benefits of the PGM-FI electronic fuel injection system is that it auto adjusts to various meteorological conditions which when combined with the double ignition map gives the rider a fantastic advantage over standard models.
Page 3 of 5
The double ignition map is activated though a switch on the handlebar:-
Mode 1: for low grip conditions
Mode 2: for the maximum power.
And the ECU- throttle body isn’t sealed allowing riders to modify their ignition and injection maps through a PC. These changes give a stronger power curve in all ranges, but especially in the mid range, and maintain excellent rideability in the low range.
The engine braking has been significantly reduced by incorporating a crankcase gas decompression system as well as a thorough work on the electronics so that when closing the throttle the engine braking is minimized making the bike feel lighter and easy to control.
The clutch system has been modified to fit the increase in power, including the clutch pump which has been improved to be more responsive during racing.
The increase in displacement and the consequent increase in compression have also meant the inclusion of a new longer kick starter to ease the starting of the engine.
All these improvements in the performance of the engine mean that the Cota 300RR can deal with areas that would be harder for the Cota 4RT260 and the Race Replica.
Chassis
One of the main objectives whilst developing the COTA 300RR was to reduce the weight of the bike and make the overall feel lighter, more responsive and agile. The foot pegs have been moved 5mm lower and 5mm rearward which positions the rider’s weight towards the rear, making the front end feel lighter.
The COTA 300RR uses Michelin X11 tires which offer an excellent combination of traction, lightness and response. The wheels are fitted with lightweight hubs made of 7075 T6 aluminium, anodized in black and with the RR logo engraved with laser. The overall weight reduction is also achieved by the use of new DID aluminium tyre rims, lighter than the ones used in other models.
The COTA 300 RR, like the COTA 4RT260 and the Race Replica all use a light and robust aluminium frame and swingarm with a proven reliability and performance.
Suspension
To reduce the weight and improve performance the COTA 300RR features a TECH fork with light-weight aluminium tubes. The rear suspension is by Showa and uses new hydraulics and settings which make the bike feel lighter and more stable as well as providing better traction.
Brakes
The COTA 300RR features a new front brake with a 4 piston monobloc caliper to improve efficiency and power. The new Braktec brake and clutch pumps with red anodized covers increase both the response and performance of the bike.
High Quality Equipment
The quality of the equipment has been enhanced in all areas of the bike; there’s a new advanced battery-less ignition system, a bank angle sensor which switches off the ignition when the motorcycle is laying on the ground or when it is at an inclination superior to 65º for more than 7 seconds and the “man overboard” system using magnetic switch that stops the engine if the bike falls. The bike is fitted with an aluminium Renthal Fat Bar handlebar as standard.
Racing Kit parts
For the COTA 300RR there is also a highly exclusive set of carbon HRC parts comprising:-
 Clutch cover protector
 Exhaust pipe protector
 Headlight cover
Page 4 of 5
Montesa Honda COTA 300RR 2016 Specifications (Full Power UK version)
ENGINE
Type Single, 4-stroke, 4 valves, SOHC, liquid cooled.
Displacement 289 cm3
Diameter x stroke 80 x 57.2 mm
Compression ratio 10.5: 1
Idle speed 1,800 min-1
Engine oil capacity 0.6 litres
Transmission oil capacity 0.57 litres
FUEL SYSTEM
Carburation Electronic fuel injection PGM-FI
Throttle body 28 mm
Air cleaner Viscous, foam element
Fuel tank capacity 1.9 litres
ELECTRICS
Ignition system Electronic, digital transistorized
Ignition timing 27° BTDC (idle) ~ 45° BTDC (10,000 min-1)
Sparkplug type CR6EH-9 (NGK)
Starting Kick to primary transmission
ACG output ACG 160 W
DRIVE TRAIN
Clutch Wet, multiplate with coil springs
Clutch operation Hydraulic
Transmission type 5-speed
Primary reduction 3.166 (57/18)
Gear ratios 1ª 2.800 (42/15)
2ª 2.384 (31/13)
3ª 2.000 (30/15)
4ª 1.272 (28/22)
5ª 0.814 (22/27)
Final reduction 4.100 (41/10)
Final drive Roller chain #520
CHASSIS
Frame type Diamond, aluminium twin spar
Dimensions (L×W×H) 2,016 × 830 × 1,130 mm
Wheelbase 1,321 mm
Caster angle 23°
Trail 63 mm
Seat height 650 mm
Foot pegs height 385 mm
Ground clearance 335 mm
Dry Weight 72.0 kg
SUSPENSION
Front 39 mm TECH telescopic fork with aluminium tubes, pre-load, compression and rebound adjustment. 167mm stroke.
Rear Pro-Link system with Showa shock, pre-load and rebound adjustment. 170 mm stroke.
WHEELS
Type Aluminium rims/ wire spokes
  • Like 1

Hy 4 RT fans.

I could test both 300 RR and 260 RT yesterday in Switzerland. I'm a Clubmen rider, happy with my 1st series 4RT since 10 years (only changed oil), but mostly Twinshock mounted (Honda TL and TLR 250, last time at Ventoux Classic Trial 2015 in the red line).

The new bigger gas pump ist felt on the 260 and I like the more tricky Tech settings. The engine is smooth, torquey and pulls nicely, clearly much better than my old 250 RT. The switch turned to 2 (soft) could be felt in higher revs, a bit less aggressiv, but no big deal in the 10 min test, maybe in the mud is more difference.

Now the 300 RR. Wow, a big smile instantly at my face. This is really a great power bomb, very torquey, power like a works bike, you could do almost every thing in 3 rd gear, a great sensation in hill climbs, but I don't feel, this is too agrressiv (ok, I'm 90 kg).

It becomes my new dream and want to have.

But it costs CHF 10200 (about GBP 7000) against the CHF 7200 of the 260 inclusive the about CHF 400 nice seat for trail.

hmm....Fortunately, the 300 RR is already sold out in Switzerland, so my bank account remains as it is...at least for another year...

Grüsse  Honda Pat

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...