4Rt Inconsistent Starting And Also Oil

2stroke4stroke

Not the usual question, but having recently acquired the bike I need to ask.

The bike starts first kick (after the priming kick) every time from cold. When hot it sometimes starts first kick and sometimes needs two or three kicks. I know about the tickover thing and keeping the throttle shut and having had a chance to adjust it at the last trial ithe tickover is now, I would say, a bit faster than others and certainly fast enough.

I've seen other folk start theirs with a casual kick halfway through the swing but mine needs the very longest swing you can get. If an adjustment was out then I would expect it at least to be consistent and either always a good or bad starter rather than varying at random. Does anyone have any advice or is it just something I'l have to live with?

I've spoken to about ten owners and, interestingly, despite the alleged criticality of the tickover speed, not one of them knew what speed their tickover was set to, never having used a revcounter to check.

I normally use Silkolene but they tell me they don't do a suitable 10/40 for the motor, apparently the Mont uses a different spec; what do most people use in the motor, as opposed to the clutch?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

I do not own a 4RT, but I ride them frequently. (My boss has five of them and several on order) Usually when hot and they don`t start, is because I kick them like a two stroke. Just, slow and gentle and for whatever reason they fire right up! 

Engine oil Castrol Power 1

I suppose by priming kick you mean "throttle reset"? A slow kick with the throttle fully open.

Changed the spark plug yet?

And make sure the headlight is off if you have one.