Gaerne Boots Question

tom675

I currently have the gaerne oiled boots, such a comfy boot, but after a good soaking they become extremely soft and i nearly ripped my little toe off at the reeth, so has anyone tried the standard gaernes? Are they a little tougher when wet?

They go soft as well, If your'e riding at speed or trials with rocks get a pair of mx boots, not as flexible but you can't have both worlds.

The Gaernes are very nice to wear I love them but I'm down south so it's just mud and logs, Mine are going well still after 4 years.

I currently have the gaerne oiled boots, such a comfy boot, but after a good soaking they become extremely soft and i nearly ripped my little toe off at the reeth, so has anyone tried the standard gaernes? Are they a little tougher when wet?

Yes, especially out of the box, remember Graham Jarvis used to ride with the standard Gaernes when everyone was wearing the purple oiled version. He said they gave him more protection. I have two 10 year old pair and the standard pair are still slightly stiffer.

Alpinestars boots offer the best protection and support plus there super comfortable, only niggle is that white ones look tatty quick, but this doesn't effect the boots it's only cosmetic. I wouldn't use anything else, if you value your ankles and toes it's an easy choice

• Like 1

They go soft as well, If your'e riding at speed or trials with rocks get a pair of mx boots, not as flexible but you can't have both worlds.

The Gaernes are very nice to wear I love them but I'm down south so it's just mud and logs, Mine are going well still after 4 years.

Had a pair of sg10 mx boots that i rarely wear and got to looking at them closely. Turns out that the hard plastic flap that covers the shin is removable. With that removed, it was missing only 1 buckle.

i removed the buckle from the flap, lined up and punched holes for the buckle directly into the boot leather and mounted the buckle. i then removed the old metal hinge from under the plastic that could rub against and scratch the bike, and filled that pocket with silicon RTV.

Next to come off was the metal toe guards.

Voilla!  Flexible heavy duty trials boots.

This mod is not possible with the sg12 due to the flap being intergrated with the boot. I'll try to post pics when I get back from out of state.