Hydraulics, Do We Need Them?

dadof2

It's the evolutionary laziness of the western world. Mum, dad and gran used to go on holiday in motorbike and side car, now they need a car that's, "easy to get in and out of" and a blimmin great box on the roof. Cables are fine and no clutch is so bad that it compares to 10 hours a day in a 50/60's Scammell. People are just not up for effort anymore.

Regards

Victor :)

Do we need USB, SS, drives?  What was wrong with floppy disks or punch tape you might ask?

All academic. A solution to a problem that up until now has never been asked.

Respective the past, embrace the future.

• Like 5

I had a conversation with a fellow club member at one of our vintage two day enduro events at lunch he was "barging"  how the 92 (I think) KDX 200 handled and stopped as well as his 2010 KTM. the last thing I told him before I left to pre ride back to camp was " If they were so damn good they would still make them that way. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE." Well when I got to camp NO EMTs found out he blew a turn off the mountain they found him some 100 FT off the trail ( one we had road for many years) the last thing he remembers was not being able to stop going over the edge. He got lucky major concussion 4 broken ribs sprained wrist. And I dont like adjusting cables constantly never had ANY problems with  Hydraulics

• Like 1

I hate to be a grumpy old guy ....But I like riding my tweeked 240 pro better than my 97 section . Everything on the section seems to happen to fast , my clutch on the 240 is stable , progressive and totally a one finger deal . The section feels like a switch .The 300 front brake on it works better for my style of riding than the disc on the section  , just much better feel for me. And with good shoes and a little extra effort water has never been a issue for me , you just have to know you may have a tick less power for a few moments ... And yeah I've been a mechanic for over 40 years , so my fingers are kinda strong and sensitive (women luv'em !). I may need alot more peg time on the section to get comfortable on it , but I have the feeling I'll sell it or let my son abuse it ...And I'd rather clean and adjust drums and lube cables anyday of the week than try to do a field repair on blown hydraulics...  And we are riding trials , not enduro's or motocross  ....And I prefer no-stop trials ...:)

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

I like the look of drum brake wheels, just like I like the look of the motorbikes they come on.

Not many things mar my enjoyment of the aesthetic appeal of a motorbike, as much an old bike that someone has retrofitted a disc brake to

I also think that a well set-up old trials bike can feel absolutely wonderful to ride, despite it being so different to a modern trials bike

• Like 4

Or add your age and the class you ride to your post. I found the swm I had was fine on the easy course and some middle route sections. Generally though on the middle course both clutch and brakes were something of a handicap. So in answering the question try and remember that not everyone is riding the twin shock course.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 2