De-Tuned?

hrc2002

I am right in thinking that a 4 Stroke engine is normally used for speed, rather then power?

So if a four stroke engine is tuned for speed, if it would be used for trials it would be untuned to get a mixture of both power and speed?

About the other topic of hating the four stoke, what that all about? They might not look the business, but when it comes into riding they MUST be better or near as good as the 2 strokes. They have to be, riders can't go back down the ladder of technology, after all its taken years to get up it since the 1980's when 4 strokes were in, now with it being in 2003 the technology is far better then it was now. We have a greater understanding of engines and are able to make a 4 stroke as good as a 2 stoke.

I support fours!

HRC2002

I see some posts elsewere have got people worried on price and riding their two strokes, I think the clubman will be safe for many years.

The price will be higher for a full blown 4T trialer, but I also expect the companies will also see this and start giving more options like a clubmans air cooled version at a lower price, untill that time there will probably new 2t's for sale.

Why?

'Why?' because its a big, big change to trials, it'll be good to see how the riders react to the change, and how the trials riding community react.

Its also a very big challenge to the manufactures of the bikes to 'recreate' their years of idea's and production into a new 4stroke.

I figure the 4s will work out fine for trials eventually, as Nigel noted, they don't have a choice.

Besides, the power issue is not as big a deal as in other sports like MX where the 4s need double the displacement to get into the hunt.

The equalizer in trials will be weight minimums instead of doubled displacement allowed in other sports....oh yeah, sorry no need to equalize in trials case, just eliminate the competition completely. ;)

• 8 years later...

'Why?' because its a big, big change to trials, it'll be good to see how the riders react to the change, and how the trials riding community react.

Its also a very big challenge to the manufactures of the bikes to 'recreate' their years of idea's and production into a new 4stroke.

Hi, Why? what a strange comment to make, some time ago i gave up with more modern two-strokes to ride and modify a tlr200, so does that make me weird? I find that single word "Why" almost offensive, the man, like me, has a choice in whether to ride a 2T or 4T without being thought of as ridiculous for choosing 4T, they will eventually, I hope, become the norm as they were at the beginning of the sport.