Gas Gas Take Over (Multiple Topics Merged)

gassa1

80 a day is impossible, from many angles, clearly not true.

2850 trucks leave our plants a day with significantly more complexity. Average days on dealer lot is less than you would assume. Buy a ticket to Detroit and I will show you. Impossible is a word for the weak.

--Biff

2850 trucks leave our plants a day with significantly more complexity. Average days on dealer lot is less than you would assume. Buy a ticket to Detroit and I will show you. Impossible is a word for the weak.

--Biff

Not sure what you are implying here, there is no point making more bikes than you can sell? Surely to be competitive they need to keep the workforce gainfully employed all year round and this would dictate how many are employed and how many bikes per day fits that equation.

• Like 1

Ok so you dont know what its like to be in Spain and how the people are face to face.

80 a day is not "impossible" to do either here there or even in the usa,but from many angles it is, not least commercially, but many more reasons which i could explain but whats the point?

The fact that 2850 trucks are made is of no relevence to the world wide trials market, either in numbers or demand so not sure what youre saying?

Not sure what you are implying here, there is no point making more bikes than you can sell? Surely to be competitive they need to keep the workforce gainfully employed all year round and this would dictate how many are employed and how many bikes per day fits that equation.

People have been implying that 80 bike production runs won't keep people employed. My point was that there is many things that need to be done to keep a plant running. It is also necessary to have the workforce to get your plant up and running again. I think people are losing sight that its not as easy as snap fingers spit out 80 bikes then stop. Profit isn't the same thing as cash either when thinking about manufacturing Return On Investment.

--Biff

People have been implying that 80 bike production runs won't keep people employed. My point was that there is many things that need to be done to keep a plant running. It is also necessary to have the workforce to get your plant up and running again. I think people are losing sight that its not as easy as snap fingers spit out 80 bikes then stop. Profit isn't the same thing as cash either when thinking about manufacturing Return On Investment.

--Biff

I do not understand what you are trying to say here? If you have enough technicians to manufacture 80 bikes per day that is great, if you are selling 80 bikes a day that is! It would make no long term economic sense to have that many technicians idle or doing lesser work during the time of non manufacture  ( unless the market could afford it) .... and your comment "Profit isn't the same thing as cash either when thinking about manufacturing Return On Investment" - what exactly are you trying to say here?

Obviously the term ROI is about the net profit you make on the cost of investment but why are you saying its not the same as cash? 

Also biff reading between the lines im not sure you even understand what production of trials bikes is like in Catalunya.

AFAIK all makes just assemble they dont manufacture much at all, which is why the sherco small batch model has worked so well for so many years. Looks like trs are following suit, so yes in their model it is easy to spit out 80 in a batch, just not 80 a day.

• Like 1

Also biff reading between the lines im not sure you even understand what production of trials bikes is like in Catalunya.

AFAIK all makes just assemble they dont manufacture much at all, which is why the sherco small batch model has worked so well for so many years. Looks like trs are following suit, so yes in their model it is easy to spit out 80 in a batch, just not 80 a day.

Except Montesa

There was also a strong rumour that Montesa(Honda) built about 3 years production in one hit then stored them until they could all be sold.

You must remember that nothing really changed in the first few years of availability and people often questioned the make dates from the frame numbers and the assumption was it was cheaper to build one big batch and store them than build lots of smaller batches.

The price differential between these bikes and say GasGas, Beta and Sherco would have easily have covered the cost of funding the project.

Maybe it was 5 years worth !

Montesa make the least?

Dont Honda make the engines in Japan? Ditto showa shocks, although it might be Tech forks now, wheels and brakes bought in from local Spanish sub contractors, frames in italy etc etc?

Not sure but just from memory.....

Nope - Montesa assemble every standard 4RT engine in Spain. I watched engine assembly when i visited the factory there .