200 Or 250 Pro

badass76

yes mate... Kevs Gasser is lovely. I have more photos and info on the way soon..

Only yellow or silver machines with a splash of black to cause a little excitement r2 (hello mate). I thought red-on-red was the best colour scheme, I

post-786-1127857972.jpg

On the original question of 200 or 250, I would say 250 all the way.

I'm on my second, and probably will get a third in the near future.

Unless you are a top expert there is more than enough controllable power in them. I'm a big lad and I've never fopund it lacking, just stick it in first gear and prepare to be amazed.

I know a few lads who have had 300's and spent all their time trying to slow it down, and finally have got rid. I believe that 280's aren't much different.

couple of my pals have gas gas 300,s and montesa's .they are always flipping their bikes and getting into trouble on them,maybe they,ve got too much power for their ability.when they ride my gasgas 200 they carn't believe how light it feels ,even though it weighs as much as their 300's.point is ,it's ok having all that power if you can use it . get a 200 and enjoy your riding

As i said at the top somewhere... a 200 will teach you to ride better. I rode the 2005 200's at the test day last year and loved it.. can't figure out why it is so light feeling when it is the same chassis as the bigger bikes but you could just nail the throttle and play!!

There are a couple things that happen when you have the 200 vs 280/300 pros, I think...

One is the 200's come standard with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket, and since you have been using the 'clutch' and slipping all the time, you can usually twist the throttle & "scream" the 200 up into the torque curves that I use on my 300 at much lower throttle, to get by same objects.

With the 200 "IMHO" you have a bike that an average weighted person with average skills can ride easier, without the bike punishing you for your mistakes. Many riders 'get behind the bike' when riding the bigger/quicker bikes, which causes most of the trouble I see with riders (in general novice & Amature class) BTW, I have it happen too me also, especially when tired.

The bigger bikes demand you be in position and in charge just litte more than say the 200, as they'll react quickly with the torque than the 200's do, because bigger bikes are not only torqy but quicker geared. Most riders probably benifit from the 200's tamer torque, at least until you are in advanced rider classes where the extra "OOOMPH" really can come in handy...

Your Milage May Vary, Maybe...

Sting32

Bikes, which have been deemed fierce, over powered and hard to control in the past, are they still revered in this way today? I recall a conversation recently with a rider who informed me his Fantic 300cc (?) was a total animal to ride, it was over powered and no one wanted to own one because of this. Does anyone know of past bikes that were fierce beasts to ride? Surely there will be many but perhaps that was all hype then as it is today. Looking at this whole subject of engine size cc and what suits who etc.... could this animal Fantic be as fierce and as terrifying as a modern bike as it was when it was at the cutting edge? I rode the bike, which incidentally was in first class condition and the conclusion is it had about the same performance bottom/midrange as a 125cc Gas Gas and less top end power! My point is this, today's bikes which are deemed as having crazy power will tomorrow be underpowered. Perhaps as riders get older they find cutting edge machinery too much to handle and age or a loss of bottle is more the case here. Myself, I ride the 300cc Raga and enjoy using big gears, no revs to level hills and largish obstacles, and i would say i'm a very average rider.

Edited by spud

:o 10 or so years ago a mate of mine got a trials bike and let us all have a go. Until I had tried this bike I was all set to start trials riding ( looked easy.. seemed an effortless sport..and all those other mis-conceptions ). That bike I tried put off my decision to buy a bike for a couple of years. :)

The name of that beast---- Aprillia climber.

I think it had some sort of power-valve arrangement i.e. no bottom end power ,then the revs brought in that valve and whoaaa straight off to A+E dept.

I'd like to ride one now just to see how tame it's become!? :(

:o 10 or so years ago a mate of mine got a trials bike and let us all have a go. Until I had tried this bike I was all set to start trials riding ( looked easy.. seemed an effortless sport..and all those other mis-conceptions ). That bike I tried put off my decision to buy a bike for a couple of years. :blink:

The name of that beast---- Aprillia climber.

I think it had some sort of power-valve arrangement i.e. no bottom end power ,then the revs brought in that valve and whoaaa straight off to A+E dept.

I'd like to ride one now just to see how tame it's become!? :lol:

I was going to list the Climber here as a fierce bike. I had a 280 climber for a while 'back in the day' (when I was about 14 or 15) and it really was an animal. The engine revved up like a 'crosser. It was even more scary considering my previous bike had been an ancient SWM Gori... hardly a savage bike!

I don't really remember much about the bike besides it's viciousness (and it's suitability for playing with my motocross riding friends), largely I think because I moved to a JTR 250 pretty damn quickly :)