Gasgas 280 Piston In A Sherco 290?

magicmat

Hi All,

Im rebuilding a 2002 290cc Sherco,

I've noticed on the splat shop site that Splat shop sell an S3 GG 280 piston, which apparently fits, altho there is plently of caution,

said piston

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/s3-gasgas-pro-280-piston-size-a.html

Anyone else used this piston? for an extra £35 i may just buy the standard sherco one

Matt

Edited by magicmat

Well, im not sure, but it could be that S3 makes/did make the cylinders for both bikes. They are, next to most products we know, a big cylinder rehaul and fabricator company.

You need the right size, whats on the box is not really important. Read the bottom section of the link you send.

Edited by crazybond700

yes i read it and comparing to my current piston it seems that the gudgeon pin to top of the piston is smaller, so it will lower the compression ratio in my mind

I will talk to chris at splat shop when he is back on wednesday, see if he can shed any more light on it,

im all up for saving £40 but not if its a bodge

Probably best to stick with a Sherco designated piston kit.

Years back, with the early Sherco's, the gudgeon pin centre line in the vertical plane, was different to the GG piston, I don't know if the same holds true to date. And as mentioned earlier, there is a noted difference between the centre line of the gudgeon pin and the piston crown, between the GG and Sherco pistons.

Bye, Peter B.