Helmet With Lots Of Ventilation!

andrewmorpeth

Hi im after a trials helmet with loads of ventilation.I sweat a lot when riding,due to getting older etc and always end up with a headache after riding.The other day i just had to stop and take it off.At the Alwinton two day someone was wearing a helmet with loads of holes in it?Can't remember the make or if it was a trials helmet?Any advice please?Thanks.

I also wear this model of Airoh. It's good but the conclusion I've come to is that even if a helmet was drilled like a colander I'd sweat just as much and the inside of the helmet would be saturated as happens now. Some people are just made that way and sweat loads. And even their best friends maintain a respectable distance.

• Like 1

Like cleanorbust I also have an Airoh TTR and although it's very well ventilated, I also still sweat a lot. It's the nature of the beast I guess.

Even without a helmet riding in my backyard, or at other strenuous activities I sweat a lot.

The new Jitsie should also be very well ventilated I'm told.

Edited by guys

i have a simple rule.. when i step off my bike helmet comes off.. before i get back on helmet goes on..

I slipped walking a section a few months ago, smacked the back of my head really hard, fortunately still had helmet on. Pretty sure it would have been a hospital visit and stay without it.

Also, access to section for recovery would probably have required a helecopter. Accidents don't only happen on the bike.

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 3

The headache is not necessarily due to dehydration; those of us who suffer this excessive "head sweating" tend to be hotter than others and the headache is more often a result of the brain overheating. I have spent a lot of my working life in the steel industry and furnace ops required the use of, in addition to other heat resistant clothing, air cooled safety helmets.

This was basically a visored safety helmet with a battery operated fan at the back which force ventilated the wearer's head inside.

The "helmet headache" is a real thing and there is nothing worse than having a great day at a trial then driving home with a bumping headache. Takes the sparkle out of the day.

I have never seen anything on the market to adapt to trials helmets but I am sure it is do-able.

I sweat profusely so I bought an Airoh TRR mostly on that basis,it is fabulous keeps you very cool and as soon as you pick up some speed(between sections say)the cooling is amazing.Seems well made,easy to wash and you can hardly tell it's on anymore than a cycle helmet.

A helmet isn't going to stop you sweating as for headaches I don't get them trials riding but when road racing I just took nurofen before racing job done.

Edited by tribet

The one you saw at the 2 day was an Urge mountain bike helmet and therefore not within the ACU requirements. You may not be bothered but ponder the insurance implications should there be an incident. Not to mention the possible effect on the clerk of course who has the duty to see that such rules are complied with and who may have to appear in court should the worst occur.

I very much recommend the Airoh based on a year of use.

• Like 1