Helmet With Chin Hence Mouth Hence Teeth Protection!

chrisa

Hi

I think there's a gap in the market for guys like me. I use my Motesa for trail riding. I've got the fuel tank seat. It's just brilliant, so good at laning in fact, I sold the Exc-f 350 I had because it wasn't getting used. Nothing wrong with the 350 of course, it's just there's 300% more fun to be had on the Mont. 

I love the protection from my MX helmet, but I wouldn't ride the Mont with it now I have a trials helmet. Issue is that now I use a trials helmet I'm kind of waiting for the 'big one' that rearranges my face! Speeds obviously higher than trials (Mont will happily push 50+mph :huh: ). Going back to the MX helmet just reminds me of how restrictive it is re visibility.

So...the gap in the market is for a helmet that's as open as possible (like a trials helmet), but incorporating some chin (hence face) protection.

Have any of you guys and gals come across such an animal? Would be very interested to know.

I get you, a lot of japanese trials riders actually wear full face mx helmets riding trials.

Ive yet to see an attempt of this for the motorcycle community, as above there are mountain bike variations that are a cross between full face and open face (google 'met parachute').

The problem is while they have some face protection they probably fall short on the main head protection required for motorbikes. Heck even some professional downhill cycling guys favour MX helmets over the specifically designed downhill helmets.

Edited by faussy

Bought my son a Downhill Mountain bike helmet.  The 3 big changes when compared with an MX helmet are:

• Lower chin piece and thus larger opening (easier for the MTB crowd to take goggles on and off).
  • Lighter weight.  As impacts are expected to be at a lower speed than a road bike, MTB helmets aren't made for 70mph impacts and so don't meet road bike spec such as the Snell standard. But in reality, these helmets are probably perfect for trials as our head impacts are at even slower speeds.
  • Rear of the neck is higher than an MX helmet.   MTB body position is more weight forward over the bars than a traditional sit on a motorbike seat so as they hold their neck up more, they need more of a helmet cut-away at the base of the skull.

Some of the new MTB helmets have more air holes on the sides and even have removable chin pieces such as the Bell Super 2 R. 

My sons helmet below....

ScreenShot2013-05-23at85141AM.png

Ross

Edited by ross brown
  • Like 1

Hi

Some good ideas. Problem I have is heat. There are a few helmets similar to suggested ones, but the venting is poor or non existent. Like a lot of riders I get really hot when riding. Have an Airoh trials helmet and an Airoh MX helmet from 350 days. Both have brilliant air vents. When I compare the two though the vis from the trials helmet is night and day better than the MX one.

Great photo of the yellow man! Where is that? Looks stunning.