French Trials Licence + Insurance

lebowski

We have to choose; pay the 290€ or 350€ licences and ride trials or nothing.

If you are foreigner holding an EU licence you can ride here in some events that accept EU licences. Not all of them do, just counted events. If you want to ride a trial in particular that is not EU you can pay for a one event licence; 60€ for a one day event and 100€ for a two days trial.

Best is to contact the orgazirers and see if they accept your licence. Some do.

An EU licence? As in an ACU licence, or a road licence? Do the bikes have to be insured and/or road registered?

Is there a central listing of the different clubs?

So many questions..... Sorry!

I can confirm that numbers an EU Historic trials licence in D is 200€ a year, for international modern 319€ a year,

at least approved by the FIM and written in three languages ... for any rider over 50 years you have to ad the costs of a medical fitness test with ECG and all the trimmings thus you have to add another 100 - 200€! 

Even for these amical trials bikes need to be insured. That's the easy bit a company called ABELA will do it on a special deal for trial bikes for around 60/80 euros a year. They will insure the bike on the frame number as well so whether you actually need to re register your bike is a little bit of a grey area. In Spain several of the classic trials I have ridden the organisers have not looked or bothered with insurance. lights or number plates, even the police directing traffic at the rounderbouts between sections have been less than interested. This goes against an Enduro riding chum of mine that rides in Spain and tells me that the police are all over him and his mates like a rash, and any infrindgment is dealt with a fine.. My bikes are all French registered and insured with lights not all working , but to the untrained eye.. Good luck its only just begun...

I can confirm that numbers an EU Historic trials licence in D is 200€ a year, for international modern 319€ a year,

at least approved by the FIM and written in three languages ... for any rider over 50 years you have to ad the costs of a medical fitness test with ECG and all the trimmings thus you have to add another 100 - 200€! 

I have forgotten ... our license includes an insurance for the rider and the bike:

- partly disability benefits: 32K Euro

- full disability benefits: 64KEuro

- death: 16KEuro

- medical expenses: 10KEuro

- medical repatriation: 4KEuro

- rescue costs: 3KEuro

- repatriation death: 2,5KEuro

- technical help: 1,5KEuro

- Immediate solutions with serious injury: 1KEuro

Very low...

for substance help for 50KEuro add another 131 Euro, for 110KEuro add another 242 Euro.

An EU licence? As in an ACU licence, or a road licence? Do the bikes have to be insured and/or road registered?

Is there a central listing of the different clubs?

So many questions..... Sorry!

No problem lebowski.

An EU licence means a licence from any EU country. ACU for example is valid for some clubs here in Spain. Sometimes they will ask you for a starting permit (repatriation insurrance) which in the ACU is quite cheap and easy to obtain.

Here in Spain ACU is the federation model that everyone would like to have!!!!

Trials competitions in Spain are allways 100% off road, so no registration or insurrance needed. Entries include an insurrance.

No central listing of clubs unfortunately, our Federation is very occupied helping our very many top riders that have not time enough for the really important things...

Edited by greeves

An ACU international licence is £30..... Not that I have ever moaned about it, but we really don't know just how lucky we are...

Even for these amical trials bikes need to be insured. That's the easy bit a company called ABELA will do it on a special deal for trial bikes for around 60/80 euros a year. They will insure the bike on the frame number as well so whether you actually need to re register your bike is a little bit of a grey area. In Spain several of the classic trials I have ridden the organisers have not looked or bothered with insurance. lights or number plates, even the police directing traffic at the rounderbouts between sections have been less than interested. This goes against an Enduro riding chum of mine that rides in Spain and tells me that the police are all over him and his mates like a rash, and any infrindgment is dealt with a fine.. My bikes are all French registered and insured with lights not all working , but to the untrained eye.. Good luck its only just begun...

Thanks for that, I've found ABELA online and will contact them nearer the time. So if I turn up with bike and insurance, I should get a ride?  

No problem lebowski.

An EU licence means a licence from any EU country. ACU for example is valid for some clubs here in Spain. Sometimes they will ask you for a starting permit (repatriation insurrance) which in the ACU is quite cheap and easy to obtain.

Trials competitions in Spain are allways 100% off road, so no registration or insurrance needed. Entries include an insurrance.

No central listing of clubs unfortunately, our Federation is very occupied helping our very many top riders that have not time enough for the really important things...

Thanks again

I think a plan is forming (hopefully)! We aren't the best riders in the world, I'm a novice and my other have is almost a complete beginner, so we will try to find practice areas, either in France or Spain. With insurance we can ride the Amicale trials locally and with an ACU international licence I could ride multi day trials in France or wherever.

Anyone foresee any problems with my cunning plan?

:unsure:  

Hola Greeves,

What about Saint Feliu,  the start out of the port, through the town over several roundabouts. Back into the town, along the main street, sections on the beach.. hardly off road.. do the police look the other way or is the responsibility with the rider if there is an accident.

• Like 1

Hola Greeves,

What about Saint Feliu,  the start out of the port, through the town over several roundabouts. Back into the town, along the main street, sections on the beach.. hardly off road.. do the police look the other way or is the responsibility with the rider if there is an accident.

Here it is not like in the UK. There are 2 different competencies. Streets, under the competency of the city hall and the local police. Roads under the competency of the Estate (DGT) and the Guardia Civil.

They have an agreement with the city hall and local police. The local police even colaborate if necessary in the cross roads to stop traffic. The insurrance of the trial includes this driving through the town. So no problem.

It is all town streets, not roads were the Guardia Civil is responsible. They don´t mark route in roads or streets that are not under the city hall responsability. If you are cought using a road by the Giardia Civil (or Mossos in Cataluña)... both rider and organization will have big trouble.

Edited by greeves

No problem lebowski.

I quess a EU licence is actually only valid if your national agency (or how its called) supports that. Here in the Netherlands for trial non-nationional or european level you need a destrics licence or a basic motorsports licence. This licence is also included into other licences for motorsports. So I have an offroad licence which is also valid for training on MX, enduro, and trials. However not for dutch championships, and other countries. However they do state that somethimes your allowed to train on other grounds abbroad, however you need permission for that.

So maybe they will allow, but you might have a problem if something happens.

Here almost no bikes have registration or road insurrance. We dont use roads...

In the licence some small insurrances are included like if you hit a spectator or something. Other participants are excluded of everything!

Edited by crazybond700

What a great idea in Spain, shame we don t have the same open door approach here. 

Great idea in places like Sant Feliú de Guixols for the Costa Brava Trial or Pobladura... in the rest it is not so easy that City Halls collaborate.

Hello Senor Greeves. I have tried to send you a personal message but it says you cannot receive them. What is the best way to contact you? Thank you

Sorry Steve, my box was full and I did not noticed it. Now it is empty and you can send a message!

If it does not work still you can email javiercruzalonso@gmail.com

• 1 month later...