Em5.7... ?

heffergm

Anyone ridden an EM5.7? I'm strongly considering one, but I haven't managed to get a ride yet. If you have would you replace your gas bike with one if they were comparable money?

I have no doubt, given its performance in the French trials championships, that the EM5.7 is more than capable for my skill level. But I'm less concerned with that than how fun it is to ride.

I wonder though if you were new to trials and  your first play was on the EM would you be keen to jump to petrol?

I suggest these bikes must be much easier for the beginner to ride?

Furthermore you don't need to be some sort of home spun mechanic to keep them running.

Sounds like Ryan owned one previously and is looking to keep one of the next batch he gets. That's interesting in itself, but I'm a little concerned about various reports that the power is more similar to a 125. I'm way too lazy and bad to ride a 125 at this point in my life.

I've not owned one, but spend a little bit of time on one.

It's hard to explain, but I think I wrote if you jumped on one and set off flat out down a field, you'd feel a little disappointed as it does feel power limited this way.

It'll get to the end of what the motor can do and that's it.

This is no real surprise as there's no selectable gearing, so it's like trying to bomb down a field in second or third gear on a petrol bike (without the racket)

But saying that, this sort of thing wasn't what it was designed or made to do.

At the sort of in section speeds, it's power is pretty instant (though it did feel there was a small delay which I'm told can be dialed out).

And I reckon it has enough power and torque to cope.

Where I think it may be off putting for someone that is used to petrol bikes (and this is only my opinion) is it's "clutch" and lack of flywheel.

There is a "ELS" lever in place of a clutch, this seems to cut power rather than disengaging drive like a normal clutch.

This can be a little strange as there is no way of knowing how much power you've layed on with the throttle while this lever is pulled in. (with a petrol you'd hear/feel it rev up and load a flywheel).

Because of this, it had to rethinking my technique a little and try and ride without "clutch dumping" and flywheel weight assistance.

I'm sure as it involved a rethink of my technique, over time you gain the confidence in it to unleash the power right off the throttle or become accustomed to how much throttle to dial in before letting fly the ELS lever, either that or it's just me!

Where are you located?

Anyone ridden an EM5.7? I'm strongly considering one, but I haven't managed to get a ride yet. If you have would you replace your gas bike with one if they were comparable money?

I have no doubt, given its performance in the French trials championships, that the EM5.7 is more than capable for my skill level. But I'm less concerned with that than how fun it is to ride.

Well...earlier in the year I found myself bikeless.  I researched the bike as best I could...and decided to buy the sport model.  After calling the dealer, I was informed of a 3 month wait and a $10K+ price tag.

...opted for a Beta factory after that.  Still, the premium model seems pretty keen...but I think most folks would not call it a performance rival to a gas bike, so I couldn't justify the wait and the price premium.

Neither the wait nor the price tag (although I'm being quoted just under $10k) don't particularly surprise me. It's a niche bike in an already small market, so the fact that they're able to produce it and have remained in business this long is pretty impressive.

Whether it's a performance equal to a 300cc factory gas bike doesn't really concern me... I'm never going to ride at a level where the bike is the thing holding me back. But I do have a lot of fun on a 300cc gas bike, which is why I'm generally more concerned with how fun (or not) the EM is.

At the end of the day it offers a lot of upsides:

• no clutch (I work at a keyboard and have all kinds of hand issues, so slipping a clutch all day is a problem for me)
  • 10% of the maintenance of a gas bike... no fuel, no carb, carb cleaning or jetting, no gearbox and fluids, no air filters. I appreciate the simplicity, and I still get to change the fork oil once a season and grease up the linkage over the winter, which now that I'm 40 is enough to satiate my need to spin a wrench every now and then
  • no kickstarting... I can't stand pre-riding a loop for the simple reason that every time I stop it means another kick or two. I'd be happy to never kickstart another bike as long as I live
  • it's quiet(er) than a gas bike, which opens up riding at my house that I otherwise wouldn't do. Plus, although I love the sound of a nice motor, on a trials bike I could really leave the noise... they really aren't terribly nice to listen to
  • my son has an oset, and he wants me to get an electric... he's had enough exhaust in the face ;)

On the downside:

• it's $2k more than a new gas bike
  • there's basically a single manufacturer in this niche of full size trials bikes, which worries me a bit
  • I have no idea what resale value is (and this is probably my biggest concern)
  • I'm not 100% sure I can get through every event in my season on a single charge... there have been a few this year with really long loops (although that said, I'm probably going to end up around mid pack in my group anyway, so if I DNF it's not the end of the world. It's not like I get paid to do this).
  • it would be the one and only electric that I'm aware of in the club I ride with, and I could do without the attention
  • I still haven't seen any video of anyone doing a real zap on one, so I'm wondering if it's not possible. Which would be a bummer, because it's my favorite thing to do.

Edited by heffergm

I went through the exact same thought process last year... it is a tough one.

I had the same list of pros and cons with a few exceptions:

The initial cost was a bigger issue for me.

The resale was less of an issue being over 50 trials is a midlife crises write off. I figure if I bought a Porshe it would drop $10K as soon as I dove it off the lot. So it really came down to the initial cost as whatever it is would be write off in my mind and I would just try to get as many years as possible out of it.

I was looking at getting the light kit and ride it on the road around the neighbourhood just for kicks.

Despite being in the city my neighbours have never complained about the noise so I already ride at home in my backyard front yard and the sidewalk... If this wasn't the case I think I would have paid the extra $2k.

I had a long discussion over the phone with Bob at TrailnTrial and was comfortable that the bike would be well supported despite no local dealers.

I wouldn't mind the attention as the more people we can get interested in the sport and in electric bikes the better IMO.

My son is 6'3" and won't fit on a Oset :).

In the end Sherco made me an offer I couldn't refuse... so I didn't, I have been very happy on the ST250!

It is always hard buying a brand new bike but it can also be a lot of fun. It is almost worth taking a drive to the nearest dealer (18hr drive one way for me) to try one out but that would be another cost to add into the equation (but possibly a fun road trip).

Good luck with the decision making !!!

If I was the distributor of these bikes I would put out a rental bike as a demonstrator, charge £100 for a weekends use and try to stimulate some awareness through rider experience.

As everyone has noted they are expensive and a big change from a petrol bike.

I have tried one for 1/2 hour and to be honest I could see no reason to change from my Gasgas.

The power delivery and sensation of power is different, I would say you will take a good few trials/practices to familiarise yourself to the bike and to what end ?

There will always be concerns over the battery, they have not been out enough in volume to confirm what the battery will be like in 18 months time so who will buy it off you and take the risk ? I have heard stories of £ lots for replacement power units.

As for power, yes it is instant but since they fit the smallest size chain it can't be that great.

Lastly the steering lock was more like an early Sherco, nowhere near as tight a turning circle as the Gasgas or Beta so unless you can trick ride the back round forget sections harder than novice level !

As I say push for a rent before you buy, if the sellers are confident they should oblige.