Is Trials Your Only Exercise?

fivebrick

I've been a auto mechanic for about 40+ years , so I'm on my feet 10hrs. a day and the last time i had a pedometer on I walk/jog about 12 miles a day average . And unless I'm working on new vehicles , I tend to use just hand tools as old vintage iron likes a gentle touch .

After work I do a few 12oz. curls alternating between right and left arm while cooking for my kids. And I play with my dog every day too ! who has time for more exercise ????

But I do find that some stretching exercises before a ride help me relax and reduce cramping . And I ride to have fun and relax , so I don't really count riding as exercise , although it actually is ...

Glenn B)

• Like 1

One of the reasons I ride trials is that I can't run or bike anymore (knee problems), so it's trials and walking for me (aggravates the knees less). Aside from that I do some light weights at home. The best riding season I ever had was when I was still running regularly, it really makes a huge difference.

I do power- and olympic-lifting, and strongman training 6 days/week

I am interested to know if this has a detrimental effect on your trials? I used to ride with a guy who does weight lifting and he was so stiff and rigid on the bike.

I am interested to know if this has a detrimental effect on your trials? I used to ride with a guy who does weight lifting and he was so stiff and rigid on the bike.

No it's actually the opposite. Strong people are usually more flexible and limber despite the stereotype of the muscle bound fella. The stronger you are in any sport-the better.

No it's actually the opposite. Strong people are usually more flexible and limber despite the stereotype of the muscle bound fella. The stronger you are in any sport-the better.

Lower body is especially flexible. Don't really get tired from riding.

You will do better at trials if you do some additional exercise to get your heart rate and stamina up. Cycling or MTB better than running. Running tends to wear out your knees which already get enough hammer on a trials bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...