Back Tyre Coming Off The Rim

jsyben94

Both tyres and rims are supposed to be built to Standards to ensure compatability so it looks lika a QA problem somewhere.

A newcomer out on his brand new Sherco on Saturday had been through the Dunlop/Sherco loops but the problem was solved by another dealer fitting a tube. Better than junking a new tyre and I doubt whether many regulars on here could tell the performance difference between the tubeless and tubed setup on a blind testing.

I've recently bought a 2016my 250 new and on its first outing the tyre would only stay up for 15 mins at a time before going completely flat.

After reading this thread I contacted the dealer and he apparently had sold another that also had this issue. I requested a tyre swap from the Dunlop to Michelin but he would only swap the rear as the front was ok.

I'm a bit miffed with this response as to my way of thinking if I have to swap tyre manufacturer to one that is compatible with the rim they should swap the front and rear together.

I've been told by the dealer to contact MRS direct and make the request to swap the front - I'm also not very pleased with having to do this.

I'm ok to listen to reason so am I being unreasonable in my requests?

YES! Nothing wrong with it!

Dog turd not much use if the bike is sitting in the garage not being used 'cause the tyre does not fit the rim ?

Can't see why the tyre should move on the rim such as to drag the tube then consequently the valve? I know someone who used a tube for years with no problem.

I hear the new Dunlops are very good , but a bad batch thing or the rims match could be an issue. In prior years, Dunlops were very tight on the rim and one may run them on very low pressure without worry. I hope they get this worked out, but in the interim, a Mich is a good deal not to be snuffed at!

Dog turd not much use if the bike is sitting in the garage not being used 'cause the tyre does not fit the rim ?

Can't see why the tyre should move on the rim such as to drag the tube then consequently the valve? I know someone who used a tube for years with no problem.

Whether you can see it or not doesnt alter the fact at correct low pressures tyres will move on rims, a tube adds a level of susoension too and as a famous yorkshire rider told me affects grip.

A tubless has advantages on modern bikes and trials but if youre just messing about it could offer a solution.

I hear the new Dunlops are very good , but a bad batch thing or the rims match could be an issue. In prior years, Dunlops were very tight on the rim and one may run them on very low pressure without worry. I hope they get this worked out, but in the interim, a Mich is a good deal not to be snuffed at!

Once a michelin is on the shercos are fine so the rims are good in size. I dare say a different batch dunlop would work too?

It wasn't about whether it was 'safe' or 'ok' to run different tyres front to back my point was I wouldn't expect to buy a brand new bike and see it had 2 different manufacturers tyres fitted. In this case it had to have another manufacturers tyre fitted to make it ridable.

To others this clearly would be acceptable, everyone has their limits even when paying out that amount of money.

All sorted anyway now.

Wow!! Its to sad so many people are having issues with simple things like standard size tires not working on standard size rims...Solution is simple, if the bike/tires are brand new and dont work as advertised, then the products need to be taken back to purchase point for dealer and or factory to make it right. If problem is not resolved then we as consumers need to keep others in sport informed of problem with the offending product, factory or dealers and do not purchase the crap they sell... Lets hear also about the Great products ,brands and Dealers who take care of their customers and support them :)     Tires and rims incompatible??? its disgusting... :wall:  

So, people have mixed experiences with tubes in tubeless tyres, though I have heard no problems reported from the Pre'65 Scottish where, I am told, the rules demand that if a tubeless tyre is used then a tube must be fitted.

I'm intrigued with ND's apparent experience that a correctly made and fitted tubeless tyre will creep despite the much greater grip such a tyre has on the rim than a conventional tubed setup. I have not been aware of this happening and will be marking my tyre to check movement for my own interest.

Good to see that Leeky got sorted out with a new tyre. Notwithstanding consumer law my understanding was that Dunlop refused to acknowledge a problem thus dealers would have to bear the cost from an already narrow margin with some being more willing than others to do so.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke