Broken Wiring And Spark Plug Colour

jkd

Dear guru's....

I've attached a couple of photos, hopefully they loaded ok.

One of my wires have snapped off really close to something, a little black box. The wire goes to the thermostat I believe. Is it possible to do anything with it? Too close to solder I think.

Also, I changed my spark plug, I don't think its ever been changed, is that colour normal for a two stroke or is it running rich? I believe the fuel to be running 50 to 1.

post-21685-0-77074900-1444775734_thumb.jpg

post-21685-0-65810500-1444776304_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advise, yeah the exhaust is absolutely caked! Whipped it off late last night. What would you say is best to clean it out with?

I've ordered that wiring piece from splat shop (£30!) but at least it will fix it

The older muffs are not designed to be re-packed, so the best preventive maintenance is to not let them get too gunked up to begin with.

One thing you may want to do would be after riding a bit and insuring the fan is working, get the thing up to normal operating temps and then do 2-3 good hard drag races through the gears down a long trail or road. This gets a lot of heat under load into the muff. Wait a minute, then repeat!

It may start smoking profusely as the gunk is blowing and burning out! Wait and repeat until smoking subsides!

Getting a bit of real heat into the plug as well will help preserve them, although they are cheap and disposable. Replace at first signs of hard starting. Gap at 0.5-0.6mm

Putting about all day is not good on this stuff. They need a bit of a run on most every ride.

Use good full or semi synthetic oil. 80:1 is more than enough for most everyone unless you are planning a road trip.

Edited by copemech