Pre65 Project Costs

suzuki250

Hi trialsrfun'

"Was Sammy Miller so far ahead of the rest because of the bike or was he using his riding ability to the full spurred on by the new challenge. "

Naturally Sam's ability was to the fore - just as it had been on the Ariel before - but equally it didn't win every time but when it was beaten it was usually by another works star on another Spanish model, although Sam didn't have it all his own way in Scotland as Alan Lampkin found......

Edited by laird387

In the USA  the Indian built 4 speed Enfield Bullet is considered a replica and eligible for AHRMA Premier class (Pre-65). Parts are incredibly inexpensive for the 350cc bullet. As an example I bought an aluminum cylinder, piston assembly and gaskets for under $150 straight from India.

• Like 1

Old country saying "he/she knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing" riding a bike you have built adds another dimension to your trials riding, also a classic bike does not depreciate in value as would a new similar cost modern one so the expense is not all one way.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 3

,and i thought sanity was returning to our sport even in dollars $2000 seems totally over the top unless gold or titainiam spokes are the latest fashion      a pair of l/weight hubs any early british l/weight ,will have 36 spoke holes , a pair of used alloy rims from a jap trail bike, and 72 spokes/nipples , new brake shoes  sealed bearings  alloy wheel spacers/snail cams and a dural rear sprocket,add 3 security bolts (alloy) and a pair of tyres and tubes you end up with a light and eligible set of wheels ready to go out and ride ,i know this can be done easily for £250 as i have just built a pair for my latest panther lightweight trials outfit,if you cannot do it yourself add another £50 -£100 for labour /using my own labour i reckon to build the new outfit which will be competetive for about £1500 so does spending what i consider a stupid amount of money on a trick bike make you a better rider,, i think not ,so the sooner we all get back to reality,keep within the spirit of the sport and have a good time riding instead of polishing i at least will be happy will 

• Like 5

well aawil as a canny yarshire lad can you point me in the direction of a set of wheels tyres and new brakes for under 250 quid..

,on ebay now..

front rim £35

rear rim 44

front tyre 69

rear tyre 94

bantam hubs 35 each

brake shoes 15 a wheel

sealed bearing 9 a wheel

spindles 15 a wheel

snail cams 9

rim tape 3 a wheel

security bolts 3 @ 8 each

tubes 9 each

rear sproket 32

all in thats..£461,,,  now you might be able to shave a tenner here or there and pay in kind and with a sticky toffee wrapper but its january 2016 and 461 is what the list you gave will cost you today on the countries largest auction site.

• Like 1

well aawil as a canny yarshire lad can you point me in the direction of a set of wheels tyres and new brakes for under 250 quid..

,on ebay now..

front rim £35

rear rim 44

front tyre 69

rear tyre 94

bantam hubs 35 each

brake shoes 15 a wheel

sealed bearing 9 a wheel

spindles 15 a wheel

snail cams 9

rim tape 3 a wheel

security bolts 3 @ 8 each

tubes 9 each

rear sproket 32

all in thats..£461,,,  now you might be able to shave a tenner here or there and pay in kind and with a sticky toffee wrapper but its january 2016 and 461 is what the list you gave will cost you today on the countries largest auction site.

@aawil 

I like you ideas .. I am doing my first trials project ( c15 ). and successfully started my midlife crisis.

I have a question , if someone is using bantam/tiger cub hub (40 spokes holes) with Jap rim .( 36  spoke holes )

so you will leave 4 spokes holes empty on hub or you will re-arrange spoke hole distance on hub to make them 36 ..? if you can share some pictures that will be easy to understand.

Thanks & Regards

Edited by bsa4life
  • Like 1

@aawil 

I like you ideas .. I am doing my first trials project ( c15 ). and successfully started my midlife crisis.

I have a question , if someone is using bantam/tiger cub hub (40 spokes holes) with Jap rim .( 36  spoke holes )

so you will leave 4 spokes holes empty on hub or you will re-arrange spoke hole distance on hub to make them 36 ..? if you can share some pictures that will be easy to understand.

Thanks and Regards

I apologize i didn't read the the message well and didnt know early hub e.g bantam d1 hub came with 36 spokes. holes , still interested to see the brake arrangement using d1 hub or early hub.  :wall:

Edited by bsa4life

i did not mention bantam/cub hubs most old l/weights  used british hub company wheels , about the same size as cub ones weigh less and have 36 spoke holes,i recently bought a pair of an old f/barnet on ebay for £38, my local bike breaker has piles of used D I D alloy rims from trail bikes that he sells for a £10 note what i do is take the wheels strip the old spokes out keep the rims ,tapes .security bolts and give him back the hubs oops a small mistake in that as have about 1000 spokes in stock i forgot to price them ,so add another £100 so what have we got basic cost of about £250-£350,depending on the spacers and sprocket ,i still cannot see how you can spend £1500 on a set of wheels unless you have totally new everything including the hubs ,its great as i know people who have spent a fortune on replica rickman  conical hubs (the lovely shiny ones that take bantam/cub brake shoes)only to find that the steel original weigh slightly less, so i ask myself why i have only been building competition bikes for 50 years and never made a shiny one yet, and i thought the idea of classic trials was to finish and enjoy yourself and if you win sometimes that is a bonus, will

• Like 2

Hi Guy's ,

Hi  Will.

I use YamahaTY 175-250 front hubs in all of the "Britshocks" I have built?

Well they work. and they are at the right price.

If you want to be picky use Honda Step through C50-90 front hubs they were about before that Deryk cut off point.And you can buy New for £60

For back Wheels I now use Jialing JH125L complete wheels New for £100 and £40 for New back plates complete with shoes.

Sprockets are £17.

I am not going to preach, because there is NO point, YOU know what you have in mind when building up your bike or converting it.

But ask yourself, do I really need to spend that sort of, Cash? Do your home work.

Regards Charlie. (Traditional) now. 

Edited by charlie prescott
  • Like 3

You guys are funny. Obviously wheels can be built cheaper. I only wanted to point out an Indian built Enfield could be a less expensive alternative. My wheel build included new stainless rims, spokes, powder coated hubs, bearings, brakes, newly machined brake hub (for changeable sprockets) rear sprocket, new tires, tubes, rim locks and also included a modified swinging arm for more clearance. I had hired out all the work because I got more money then time at this point in my life. I paid $700 for a running Enfield with less then 500 miles on it and bought many other parts straight from India. 

Dave

Hi Guys 

Talking about cost got this one for free from friends shed this morning. now i will look for "aawil" approach to find lightweight early hub or Charlie's one , 

@Charlie

can you please explain , how you use Jialing JH125L wheel and this wheel can used in the same way on c15.

Can someone identify this wheel , Thanks

Regards

20160116_130041_zpsax35anwp.jpg

20160116_130056_zpslck5pglf.jpg

Edited by bsa4life