Washing Your Bike - Advise

jkd

When washing your bike is there anything you cover up? I.e electrics, air filters, exhausts? I plan on taking my bike out for the first proper run tomorrow or Sunday.

I know its possibly a simple question but if you don't have experience you don't know

Hi jkd, I just plug the muffler, you can buy special plugs for the job or what ever you got to hand. I spray the whole bike with truck wash mud and all [hmmm I haven't seen any mud for over a year] let it sit while I'm getting the hose ready and then spray away, I don't use high pressure and I'm mindful of areas like flywheel and air box covers.  

Enjoy Taff

• Like 1

Its nice to not direct the high pressure water on places where there a bearing (links, wheel hub, stem...)

Avoid if possible electrical conectors and the fan

And try not to fill the air filter and exaust.

Take care with the stickers.

Remembering that the big problem is high pressure washers. Simple hose is not dangerous

I usually rinse the heavy stuff off with a hose first then use muckoff with a soft brush and hose it down then run it on a stand put it in gear to clear the water from the chain and then spray with wd40, lube the chain check the air filter and put away till next time then every so often I clean and lube all the electrical connections using a dielectric grease, have done this with all the bikes I've had ( mx, enduro and trials) and it's always served me well

Edited by hulmie

I use a pressure washer.    :o

Medium pressure, keep back a bit.  only get as close as needed to make the dirt and mud come off.

I don't plug or cover anything.  I just make sure that the spray is directed away from the exit of the muffler.

WD-40 the moving bits, (foot pegs, kickstart, rear brake pedal tip, shifter pedal tip etc..)

Run the bike up to operating temperature.

Lube the chain.

To be honest I don't worry about the stickers..................not enough of them left on the Old BAGG to worry about.

She's a 2003, I spend money on the bits I break not bits to make her pretty.  Function before fashion.

I have not had any functional problems due to the way I wash the bike.................if I wash the bike  <_<

Edited by zippy
  • Like 2

I have never used a pressure washer, always wash by hand with a hose turned down low, except for cleaning out the tires then I direct the higher flow at the bottom of the wheel.

Bucket with hot soapy (car polish) water, a kitchen brush and a big sponge.

Plug the exhaust and keep the overspray around the carb to a minimum.

Never lost any stickers and for probably the same amount of time as getting the pressure washer out and then putting it all away again I still get a super result.

Once dried off, car Polish seems to help here, I lube the chain and give a light coat of GT 85

• 2 weeks later...

I always put the bike on the ground with the airfilter out and a plastic spacer on the filter place. Close petcock!

Than I powerwash the worst part of, and than I use some cleaner and let it soke alittle and then blast it off. Start and ride some afterwards. (add new filter first)

Pressure washer full blast for me,no exhaust plug.Fire it up to working temp afterwards and douse with WD,lube the chain job done.

Mind I have a 4rt I wouldn't do that with one of those European bikes.

Thats how I always wash bikes, cork in the exhaust and a bit of kitchen roll over the air filter.