Trials Boots Vs Mx Boots

okjc250

On 6/15/2019 at 12:26 AM, Sam-Clark said:

Old Topic i know, but still relevant, I bet if you put any top trials rider of your choice in a pair of MX Boots and most of us on here in the best Trials boots money can buy we would still get hammered. My two penath.

Yeah but if you rode in Mx boots and then you rode in trials boots, not only would you have fewer points, you'd be a lot more comfortable and enjoy it more. 

Honestly, as a novice, getting a pair of decent trials boots for £200 did a lot more for my riding than anything else (other than practice of course).

• Like 2

You are probably right, and i'm not disagreeing with you at all. However.....I'm currently not working, I'm on a miniscule budget and the thought of spending even 100 quid is eye watering. I happened to have a pair of MX boots from years ago hanging around,  Theyre fine for me personally. However if you fancy buying me some Trials Boots to utterly convince me i'm open to your suggestion. Size 8. I like neutral colours.?

I'm simply suggesting that anyone else that is on a tight budget have basic skills need protection more than anything else, using a pair of MX boots is liveable. Obviously not preferable.

1 hour ago, Sam-Clark said:

You are probably right, and i'm not disagreeing with you at all. However.....I'm currently not working, I'm on a miniscule budget and the thought of spending even 100 quid is eye watering. I happened to have a pair of MX boots from years ago hanging around,  Theyre fine for me personally. However if you fancy buying me some Trials Boots to utterly convince me i'm open to your suggestion. Size 8. I like neutral colours.?

I'm simply suggesting that anyone else that is on a tight budget have basic skills need protection more than anything else, using a pair of MX boots is liveable. Obviously not preferable.

Ah well that's a different story. Of course, we have to make do with what we can afford. Riding a 20 year old bike with worn tyres in Mx boots (I've been there) is still better than not riding! 

All I meant is that bang for your buck, decent boots are a good investment. They were a revelation for me as the increase in feel and agility really helped me.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

2 hours ago, Angga said:

this is maybe a bit out of topic
I have mx boots that stiff enough, also have running shoes
is it safe enough to use running shoes for comfortable or mx boots for more safety?

Any chance you have something that has more flex than the MX boots and are more protective than running shoes?  Maybe hiking boots?  

On that note if I didn't have anything but what you listed I might be willing to do basic flat ground work like balancing and figure 8's and such with the running shoes, but anything else I would pick the MX boots...  

Good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyc21 said:

Any chance you have something that has more flex than the MX boots and are more protective than running shoes?  Maybe hiking boots?  

On that note if I didn't have anything but what you listed I might be willing to do basic flat ground work like balancing and figure 8's and such with the running shoes, but anything else I would pick the MX boots...  

Good luck.

thanks, hiking boots seem good and affordable

18 hours ago, Angga said:

thanks, hiking boots seem good and affordable

If your going to buy something you might also look at the cost difference to some of the less expensive trials boot options in case they are also in your price range.  

I have seen some as low as the $170 range (I think the forma bolder can be found at that price range?) and with the flat sole and trials design they would be a better choice than hiking boots witch often have a heal and that can be problematic in trials for moving your feet around on the pegs.  

1 hour ago, charlie chitlins said:

My son had a pair of "dual-sport" boots made by Thor.

They were in between trials and MX in terms of flexibility and had hiking boot-type soles, but a bit more open...bit of a stepped heel.

Nice boots and probably half the price of trials boots.

I almost forgot about dual sport boots working well. 

When I first started I used my dual sport boots and though the stepped heal wasn't the best they where much better than hiking boots or MX boots by a long shot.  

On 6/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, Sam-Clark said:

Old Topic i know, but still relevant, I bet if you put any top trials rider of your choice in a pair of MX Boots and most of us on here in the best Trials boots money can buy we would still get hammered. My two penath.

If there were two trials riders of any ability and one of them was required to wear MX boots, the one wearing trials boots would enjoy themselves more

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 7:28 AM, jonnyc21 said:

If your going to buy something you might also look at the cost difference to some of the less expensive trials boot options in case they are also in your price range.  

I have seen some as low as the $170 range (I think the forma bolder can be found at that price range?) and with the flat sole and trials design they would be a better choice than hiking boots witch often have a heal and that can be problematic in trials for moving your feet around on the pegs.  

unfortunately only sidi or alphine boots available on my country and they cost at least $400 here ?
maybe i can just learn flat surface while do saving for better boots ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Angga said:

unfortunately only sidi or alphine boots available on my country and they cost at least $400 here ?

Bummer.  Good luck and I am sure you will figure out something that works well tell your able to get a good pair of boots.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 9:38 PM, Angga said:

Military type boots work decent as some work boots.I have one set of work boots that are actually tougher than my trials boots.I have a set of alpine star adv boots that I have used that were awesome. Paid 80 bucks for them used.