Dimpled Clutch Plates?

b_42woody

I have a Surflex clutch in my 2000 Sherco 2.0 with 50 hours of use.  I thought it was great until I upgraded the clutch in my Montesa 315R with new fibers and dimpled steel plates.  Wow ... it made a humongous difference and now the Sherco clutch pales in comparison.  In all fairness, the stock 315 clutch is s***e, in my opinion.  But, the new one is far better than the Surflex in my Sherco.  So, has anybody found dimpled steel plates to fit a Sherco?  If so, pray tell .... where did you get them and how do they work?  The friction zone on my 315 clutch is broad, linear and predictable.  I'm using Silkolene Comp gear oil in the 315 and Maxima MTL in the Sherco.

Thanks, Woody 

Thanks, Gents.  I appreciate the replies.

I'm using 75 weight "Extra Light" Maxima MTL (Motorcycle Transmission Lube) in the Sherco.  My Monty parts dealer isn't a fan of the Maxima and suggest the Silkolene Comp Gear.  We can't get Elf gear oil in the US or I might try that.

I tried ATF before I changed the clutch but I didn't like it.  To me, the clutch seemed to have a sharper engagement.  But, in all likelihood, it was the original clutch.  Perhaps the ATF will work well with this new clutch.

To be clear, I'm not unhappy with the Sherco clutch.  It's manageable, but compared to the new fabulous 315 clutch, I'd like it to be better.

Thanks for the link, trialsrfun.  I skimmed through that document and it all makes a lot of sense to me.   I'll probably get to work on that as soon as the snow starts to fly.  I'll also try removing 2 springs/bolts.

I use the clutch a lot - perhaps more than I should.  I think it's a carryover from riding a 125 MX bike in Pennsylvania coal country (dense woods with LOTS of rocks and roots) for a number of years.

If I find a source for dimpled plates, I'll post it here.

Thanks again.

I use the clutch a lot - perhaps more than I should...

Clutch control is your friend,throttle sets amount of power,clutch determines how it is delivered.I don't think it's possible to say you utilize the clutch too much.