Non Starter After Washing

fantic tom

Tom,

It sounds like you might have been chasing two separate problems that have manifested themselves at the same time.

Through you various posts you’ve had it a dry plug, a wet plug, no fuel and would have to assume form the wet plug plenty of fuel, either that or no spark.

To me these opposing problems would indicate that there is more than one thing wrong! You are fixing a problem X only for the bike not to run because of problem Y. You then start working on problem Y only for problem X to thwart you! This can be incredibly frustrating I know I’ve been there myself!

It might help to go back to the start and write down what happened at each stage eg ran for minute died, dry plug. Also write down anything you found, float sticking and anything you changed in-between each attempt to get it running. This will help you follow the changing problems and help identify all of them.

The other thing you could do is see if there a very kind and helpful person near you with the same bike who is happy to help you and swap parts between bikes until you find what’s causing it!

The last thing to look at is go over some of the things you’ve already done. I had a problem with a road bike years ago, the first thing I changed was the plug. After going round and round the problems I took it to a mate of mine that runs a bike shop (the sort of bloke that can fix a bike by looking at it but never actually touches it!). Tried to start it, nothing, his first suggestion was a new plug, said I’d already done that but changed it anyway. First kick away it went! Turned out the brand new plug I’d brought sparked perfectly out of the engine but was failing under pressure inside the engine. Sometimes it can be the simplest things!!! 

apologies for the delay in reply iv not been on for a while.

thats what i have been thinking too! i don't know a lot about 2 stroke petrol engines so iv been struggling to fathom it out. iv not had chance to have another go at fixing it for a couple of weeks as iv had my old landrover to repair several big things on so I am on the road and can get to work ect.

at least now i can rule out the coil. ill take the carb off soon and bring it into the house and have a good study of it. i will update when i next have a look.

thanks for your advice smokey125 your a gent!

Edited by fantic tom

well im finally getting somewhere, I took spark plug out and earthed it to cyl head and its sparking but not well. its got a new coil so should it spark well with this?

what else could cause a poor spark, a duff spark plug?

i wouldn't mind the first thing i did was order 2 new spark plugs but the top nipple where ngk lead attaches was different.

can i fit the new plug with a different ngk lead end or where do i get the same skinny headed plug from?

such a simple problem stopping it running i think, annoying as engine had been rebuilt last year!

cheers!

tom.

Just unscrew the nipple from the top of the plug. It could be that there is not a brilliant connection between plug cap and HT lead. Cut it back slightly then screw the cap back on. Is there a screwed connection at the coil end?

I don't recall resistor plugs specified for Fantic so you want neither resistor.

I have known bikes with a poor looking spark that ran well for years.