Evo 200 2009 Front Caliper

slogger

Hi all,

Had a great ride a few weeks ago, getting use to a 200 Evo I bought to supplement my twinshock. It was bought as a well maintained runner but at the last comp the front caliper started to seize and bind on the last 2 sections. I am quite comfortable stripping the brakes as I had a Rev 3 before but I am trying to workout what caliper service kit I need to be ordering. 

If I hit the search engines I am getting info for both a Grimeca and an AJP front caliper for that model. 

The one on the bike is embossed with a Beta logo so I'm confused even more. I am assuming that the caliper is in fact an AJP branded as a Beta part but I don't want to order a service kit until I am sure.

Any help appreciated

There are a few reasons they jam on and it's worth checking these before stripping the caliper down.

One is due to the master cylinder being over adjusted.

There should be a few mm of free play before the lever actually pushes on the master cylinder piston.

So check the adjustment on the lever.

Another common one on these four pot front calipers is because the pads have worn down too far.

As the pistons in the caliper are quite small they don't have to come out of the body too far before they aren't supported striaght in the bores properly, so they twist and jam.

It can appear there's still some "life" left on the pads, but anything nearing 2mm of friction lining left and it's time to change them.

Cheers all, was hoping that a strip down is all they need. Took the caliper off as the weekend and its very gunky! and I mean very!

Have not had time to inspect the pads yet.

Was worried that the heat may have damaged the seals (the fluid had boiled as I had no lever pressure at all come the end riding back to the trailer) but their is no heat discoloration on the disk etc.

Hopefully a full strip down and service will do it and whilst out a new set of pads. 

Same question though, if their is damage to the seals etc, what is the kit I'm looking for (or is that in the threads... will look tonight).

Thanks again

I seem to think the Beta hydraulics are all Gremica from 2005.

Any Beta agent/importer would supply the correct seals and pistons if needed.

The Gremica 4 pot fronts look very similar to the AJP 4 pots (is one a copy of the other?) and I seem to remember talk of them being a straight swap, well almost, I seem to think the pipes/banjos might be of different sizes.

As I wrote, don't be too eager to split the calipers on the off chance.

If the pads are around 2mm or less, that will cause them to jam up, so clean it up, fit new pads and set the correct free play at the lever.

I did the rebuild on my '13 with an AJP kit though I believe it is a Grimeca caliper. From what I've read they are made by the same people. Anyway the pistons in the rebuild kit measured out to .003" smaller than what was in there. I split and cleaned out the caliper. Put a little fluid on the replacement seals and slid in the replacement pistons, poured fluid into the brake line hole, reattached the hose that I had ty-wrapped to the handlebar to keep from draining. Remounted the caliper and did the lever pump bleed until there were no bubbles and my front brake is back to excellent.

Practical upshot is, don't be afraid of the "AJP" rebuild kit. Works fine.