Rossi Can Dish Out But Can't Take It!

colinf

I was just getting to the stage where i could start to give him a bit more credit ( other than his natural talent) and he goes and confirms what i always thought of him! He always used to laugh it off when he was "firm" against other riders but he can't handle it when he's on the receiving end can he? Lin Jarvis said in his statement that Valentino's not a dirty rider.......i suspect Sete Gibernau would disagree. When Jorge started beating him on the Yamaha we had the nonsense of the split garage and engineers not sharing data,then he said they couldn't both be in the same team so he ran away to Ducati, now he's threatening that he might not ride in valencia ( boo hoo).......I wil always remember him as the most Gutless Of All Time!!!!!

Very unfortunate that it seems to be the case that the motogp championship will probably have been decided by stewards, not riding ability.

I think Marquez has born a grudge because of Argentina and Assen. At Philip Island Marquez messed Rossi about when he had the pace to win. At Sepang Marquez was again clearly not riding to achieve his fastest lap times but rather to mess Rossi about again. Both Rossi and Marquez are not averse to a bit of argy bargy and sooner or later one or both was going to end up on the deck. 

My view is that Marquez should not have interfered in the championship this way, if he was faster he should have pulled away, if he was slower he should have stayed behind Rossi. Any fool can repeatedly dive at the rider in front and put him off his pace.

Regarding Lorenzo, yes he is a very good fast rider but when Rossi left yamaha, the yamaha lost pace compared to the Hondas, Perhaps Lorenzo is not so good as a Development rider? Then Rossi comes back, develops the Yamaha until it beats the Hondas once again and Lorenzo takes advantage of it.

Sepang reminds me a bit of When the championship was ruined (much earlier in the season) when Max Biaggi was black flagged for overtaking under the yellow flag, a decision that was somewhat dubious.

I was just getting to the stage where i could start to give him a bit more credit ( other than his natural talent) and he goes and confirms what i always thought of him! He always used to laugh it off when he was "firm" against other riders but he can't handle it when he's on the receiving end can he? Lin Jarvis said in his statement that Valentino's not a dirty rider.......i suspect Sete Gibernau would disagree. When Jorge started beating him on the Yamaha we had the nonsense of the split garage and engineers not sharing data,then he said they couldn't both be in the same team so he ran away to Ducati, now he's threatening that he might not ride in valencia ( boo hoo).......I wil always remember him as the most Gutless Of All Time!!!!!

You can put Casey Stoner in there as well, basically anyone who he has perceived as a threat he has tried to bully off and on the track. Phillip island was a fantastic race and if Marquez was out to sabotage Rossi why didn't he let Lorenzo win??? I am not sure what he expected Marc M to do after his outburst about the Phillip island race. One of the main reasons the Honda was quicker than the Yamaha in the last couple of seasons was the seamless gearbox, and I would guess, not lack of development from Lorenzo. You only have to look at the non factory Hondas without the seamless gearbox to see how much off the pace they are. I am not so sure Rossi is such a great developer of bikes either as his years at Ducati would seem to confirm.

I know Stoner & Rossi had some tough battles but I never felt Rossi bullied Stoner. In all sports at this level its bound to get a bit heated at times but I think Marquez's tactic of what virtually amounts to a repeating MX block pass is something new. Quite a few of Marquez's passing moves (not just in the Sepang race) would have resulted in an instant several placings penalty in karting.

I have nothing against Marquez, I am as happy to see him win as anyone else, its just a pity that when the tactics he uses has resulted in crashing, a championship contender has had his championship hopes virtually ended.

The stewards should have seen what was coming and warned Marquez in advance of the race, maybe given Rossi a bit of timely advice as well.

Its far from the first time, and won't be the last that an unfair decision has been made, just ask any Scottish rugby supporter!

Very unfortunate that it seems to be the case that the motogp championship will probably have been decided by stewards, not riding ability.

I think Marquez has born a grudge because of Argentina and Assen. At Philip Island Marquez messed Rossi about when he had the pace to win. At Sepang Marquez was again clearly not riding to achieve his fastest lap times but rather to mess Rossi about again. Both Rossi and Marquez are not averse to a bit of argy bargy and sooner or later one or both was going to end up on the deck. 

My view is that Marquez should not have interfered in the championship this way, if he was faster he should have pulled away, if he was slower he should have stayed behind Rossi. Any fool can repeatedly dive at the rider in front and put him off his pace.

Regarding Lorenzo, yes he is a very good fast rider but when Rossi left yamaha, the yamaha lost pace compared to the Hondas, Perhaps Lorenzo is not so good as a Development rider? Then Rossi comes back, develops the Yamaha until it beats the Hondas once again and Lorenzo takes advantage of it.

Sepang reminds me a bit of When the championship was ruined (much earlier in the season) when Max Biaggi was black flagged for overtaking under the yellow flag, a decision that was somewhat dubious.

Rossi was quite happy to interfere with Lorenzo's title challenge in 2010 when Rossi himself was way out of it. In Motegi he put some questionable moves on Lorenzo and they could easily have both gone down racing for third place. Why did he do that (to a team mate as well) instead of letting Lorenzo go? What's the difference?  Personally I thought he was perfectly entitled to fight for 3rd place as every rider in the race is entitled to try and finish in the highest place possible. To say they shouldn't race a championship contender is rubbish. He also raced him in the following race at Sepang, in both races he took points from him.

Marquez did nothing wrong in Sepang. Pedrosa was too fast for anyone, Lorenzo passed Rossi and Rossi couldn't get him back and then Lorenzo got Marquez when he went wide - which is how Rossi also got past him afterwards when Marquez made the same mistake. He was on the ragged edge fighting for that 3rd place so how that can be judged to be riding slower than he was capable fck knows and to say he bears a grudge against Rossi because of two previous races is just buying into Rossi's well practised PR spin. He's been a **** stirrer for years laying blame with others. No-one knows how Marquez feels about those two races apart from Marquez himself, so it's pure conjecture. Marquez had every chance in Sepang to bash fairings and really slow Rossi if he'd wanted to but he made every effort to avoid actual contact in the passes, even though a couple were close. You can see him sit the bike up in other passes when Rossi leans on him. He could easily put him off track and made it look a racing incident. Just like Rossi did to Gibernau (that's racing Sete was the quote remember)

In PI, if Marquez had wanted to help Lorenzo why did he go flat out to win on that last lap with another braking maneouvre that could have gone wrong and taken them both out. Do people really think that Marquez who was third on the penultimate lap new he could win that race from where he was, that he was able to calculate his lap time, factoring in having to stay ahead of two other riders, to give himself enough time to catch Lorenzo and pass him on the last corner - which included factoring in the premonition that Lorenzo was going to make a mistake and be nearly half a second slower on his last lap. If Lorenzo hadn't run wide in that corner Marquez wouldn't have caught him. Iannone did as much damage to Rossi in that race as anyone by fighting with him when Lorenzo and Marquez were over a second ahead with Marquez in the lead.

I agree it's a pity the stewards decision may influence the outcome but it's Rossi's own actions that are the cause, no-one else's. He lost his head and what he was thinking when he accused Marquez of lying about being a fan as a young boy, no-one except him will know, but talk about plumbing the depths to taint the image of another rider. Dismal. Marquez is no saint, but neither is Rossi. He's just the man who enjoys the battle, until he's on the losing side

• Like 6

Not a big fan of either but Marquez is in another league when it comes to messing with other riders on track. If you play around as he does then at some stage you are going to come off. Personally it looks like Rossi pushed him to the edge of the track and Marquez was trying to get round without losing ground at which point the bike folds. Not exactly either riders best moment but putting the blame totally on Rossi is not really on. I have to laugh at Repsol's statement regarding the accident as well. They have been on the side of Marquez's bike for many years and his antics in the Junior Moto's were hardly clean reacing.

• Like 1

Marquez left Rossi with no choice other than to try something unorthodox, he was then daft enough to ram his brake lever into Rossi's leg.

Manipulating a championship should come with a harsher penalty than running someone wide, and I think that statement should stand regardless of any past examples.

• Like 2

ColinF, your entitled to your opinions......it's not your fault there wrong I guess...

Motogp needs riders like Rossi, he's a racer and a showman, just like Steve Colley was back in the day, they have the X factor that people happily pay to see.

Marquez after a dominant last season has been on the back foot all year and its shows in some of his moves, some of the passes he's pulled off this year have been nothing short of dangerous.

Rossi on the other hand has had a pretty vintage year, lets be honest his time at the pointed end is fast running out but he's shown he still has the hunger to win.

I can well understand his frustration with Marquez, he's been nowhere this year but now seems intent on trying to influence the outcome of the championship. I think he did mean to run Marquez wide, I certainly don't think he meant to bring him off..The passes Marquez was trying were getting more and more aggressive to the point Rossi could easily have gone down..I think running him wide he was trying to say "cool it"..

Unfortunately, it looks like the championship is now heading to Lorenzo which is a shame, a fantastic rider, but like Pedrosa just so dull....

In ending though,to call Rossi the "Gutless of all time" is clearly the thought of someone with zero brain......

• Like 1

So do you condone Rossi's riding against Lorenzo in Motegi 2010, which was aggressive and could have brought them both down, when he wasn't in the fight for the championship - or would you criticise him for that behaviour the way Marquez is being criticised now?

I think Rossi was lucky not to have been disqualified from the race and to have lost his 16 points.

He brought this on himself by creating a situation where he believes Marquez is trying to disrupt him. Well if Marquez wasn't before he certainly will now!

I think running Marquez off the track was unacceptable, that said, Rossi still leads the championship and could still win, which personally I would like to see.

Ha ha, that was way too easy! Why are Rossi fans so easy to wind up?

A couple of things, firstly i haven't Won any world championships but i can spell them! Secondly as for the "showmanship" Rossi is supposed to bring to the sport i'm not sure what you're refering to.If it's just his talent on a bike then why do Rossi fans hate Marquez so much.I don't remember the sports insiders saying that Rossi seemed to defy the laws of physics when he was testing for his maiden year in the top class like they did when Marquez turned up.......oh,and guess what ,all the top riders had to start riding in the same style to just beat him! If ,on the other hand, you meant the purile,childish pantomimes he used to perform post-win then we're better off without them.Earlier in the year Rossi said he didn't have to play games,he'd let his racing on the Sunday speak for itself,so what happened in PI and Sepang?I think any sports psychologist would suggest the pressure got to him.Lastly ,and it is just my opinion, he is a bit gutless....remember his glory days on the Ducati ( that Stoner won on)..if you look at the records he did score more points than Nicky did but if you actually looked back at the races Hayden was often in front of him when he'd crash.This was because Nicky had the balls to push when Rossi didn't. Can any of you come up with a year when Rossi won a championship on a bad bike? Seriously, in previous post i've always acknowledged that Rossi has talent,what i can't stand are double standards.The fact is Jorge is faster on the same bike and Marq can match him in a fight and he doesn't like it.