Bigger Motor To Oset 12.5

redline2097

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha but he weights maybe 10Kg? :-)

Did you measure the Amps with the stock Oset controller?

@40V it should be average 20A and 30A at starts?

What about temp of the motor?

50A is the max Amps you measure or rather average? Donno how the config works....

My kid weighs 21kg now.

I'm considering buying the Kelly controller anyway for the little extra power and better throttle respons.

But maybe straight for higher model for future projects.

KDS72200E,200A,24V-72V, Mini Brushed Controller

Whats the single control box for in Kelly controller webshop? (see pic)

I only need Kelly RS232 Converter and Cable and Standard USB to RS232 for programming?

Did you change the whole wiring for the higher current?

Greets

post-21230-0-72135600-1466539112_thumb.jpg

My boy is 15 kg, so pretty heavy. :D I did not measure amps with stock controller at all. But I think Kelly is pushing fine, I see clear difference on full throttle starts between 40,45,50 and 55 amps. 

I only need Kelly RS232 Converter and Cable and Standard USB to RS232 for programming?

-Yep

We changed all wires and rewired everything. I found this on trialscentral and it's the way we wired the Kelly:

wiring.png

I put Bike Computer on our oset today and we measured 40,1 kmh top speed. Goal reached.

Edited by redline2097

After changing gear ratio from 90:11 #25 chain to 62:9 219 chain (18% gear-ratio change) our mileage is decreased almost to half. Could it now hit more to lower effiency part of motor (1500 watts has only 60% effiency and 2000 watts has only 50%)

So if sometimes wanting to gain our mileage back should I reduce volts to our old speed? 

Is 66A 30V worse to motor

Than 50A 40V, wattage is the same on both? 

you can not have the same performance and increase the runtime only by increasing the Ah's, the efficency of the motor dont really effect runtime that much it will be more to do with heat generated by the motor at a given rpm/load , so that wasted heat is power that is not being put throught the wheel.. the options are you could turn down the current limit to increase the runtime if set to 60A @ 40v this is 2.4kw you could reduce this down to 30A @ 40V for 1.2kw .. this will give you the same top speed but will take a lot longer to get there as it will have reduced torque the increase in runtime may still not be that great so ideally you will need to gear it slower and also reduce the current limit ( you need to reduce the current limit as it may become to twitchy on the throttle ).. do you have a mixed mode option in your controller settings ? .. this is where the throttle is a mixture of current based control and speed control.. this will help increase runtime depending on riding style or even setting the throttle to a current based control only may help.

I have this: http://kellycontroller.com/kds48100e100a24v-48v-mini-brushed-controller-p-285.html

It says: Support torque mode operation. But I do not see it on settings tab. Settings here:

http://kellycontroller.com/KDShelp.php

I have used load type: Median load, should I use light load. Do you have any clue what this do in general? It is just weird that when using exactly same settings on controller and we use only 18% increased gear ratio it eats 50% of our mileage. 

old 90:11 = 8,18

new 62:9 = 6,89

I think I could switch back sprocket to 68. So gear ratio would be then 7,56, pretty close to original. Problem is that every good quality 219 chain comes with max 116 links (DID, RK, PANTHER). We use now 112 links and if we add 6 teeth to back sprocket I think 116 links isn't enough...but I could use 2 chains and link them together. Now seeing my kid hit 40kmh with this, I think 35kmh could be enough :D

Is the torque throttle bit hard to 3 years old?

it looks like the controller is only torque/current control , I don't know what the load type means ( maybe its related to mixing the torque and speed functions ) and what effects it will have on battery current as I have never had one of these controllers to test. As I said when altering the gearing in relationship to capacity its not linear so I am not that surprised in the reduced run time for the increase in speed.

I slightly decreased voltage (88%) it's now perfect and we get about 40km range which is enough good. We get 2 full trail runs with it. I could add 2 lipos more and then we would get about 55 km range. There is no point to add more range cause batteries take only 3h to charge. 

If we push with 20ah 40v lipos with under 1kw we could get 100 km range if "needed" :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I would want to know more about those bikes and the battery i.e is it a standard configuration or is the battery unique tot he bike as 8Ah is not going to get you very far unless the bike is very under powered.

I think our Oset fits such a small boy equally. Next year we tune it up to 5-10kw. :) My son turned 3 on february and now after one month real Trial training our motocross looks like this:

https://youtu.be/UOACWooUNUs

Pretty awesome.

Just small question qwhy: we have no 9t front sprocket and 62t rear sprocket and we use 112 links #219 chain. I will reduce our gear ratio a bit and switch 68t rear sprocket. Can I calculate how many extra links I need to chain. We have stock Oset 219 chain but it isn't enough on stregth. We have to tighten it every run. I am ordering germany made Panther 219 chain for us.

edit: Nevermind. I found this https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/chainlength.htmland calculated that I need 115 links.

Edited by redline2097

I would want to know more about those bikes and the battery i.e is it a standard configuration or is the battery unique tot he bike as 8Ah is not going to get you very far unless the bike is very under powered.

Yes I think it looks good but it wont go pretty fast and long.

But a good (better compare to Oset 16") base for tuning ;-)

• 4 months later...