Test Rides

telecat

which model and cc are you buying and how much is it?

I believe only the 300cc combat is for sale initially. The price is set at £5750 with no discount for any reason (i.e no. of units ordered etc) I was told the company are setting a level playing field for all their customers which is reassuring if they honour that. Other models of comparable engine sizes to all the current brands (250/280/300) will be produced in the near future with variable specs available.

I had to pay £500 up front to set the order mechanism in action and was told the company do not, and don't intend to facilitate part exchange at any time, even within the brand. So my understanding is when I want to sell my Vertigo the company intend to set up an exclusive web site for advertising second hand V's.

It does introduce a logistical problem not previously encountered for me because I have to pay for the Vertigo and then try and sell my Factory Beta privately which equates to roughly £12000 lay out on trials bikes in the same calendar year. That's not meant as a complaint, thank God I'm in the position to do so and I love everything about motorcycling so consider it money well spent but normally my local dealer Highland Leisure sport give me a fair price for my used bike and are extremely helpful in facilitating the change which is a convenience I will miss to be honest! I can see this feature of changing to a Vertigo a stumbling block for what would potentially be future customers.

Just back from my test ride on the Vertigo, hope it's not rose tinted glasses but very impressed and incredibly pleased at this stage that I have one coming. First impressions are the design is much more radical than I anticipated... very well thought out from what I have seen so far. It looks difficult to damage as everything is incredibly well tucked away. Really small when you get on but I was spooked by the long rake initially, front wheel felt miles away but fifteen minutes on it and I began to realise how stable it felt. My feeling is this bike will work for a novice and equally suit a top rider. It is really stable and the emphasis on keeping the weight low and central is tangible even to a wobbler like me.

The engine was IMO flawless! smooth and torquey of the bottom with instant response all the way up the rev range. Absolutely loved it and can only see it getting better when I get more used to it. Interested parties really need to see it in the flesh to appreciate it with the only slight disappointment for me being the fact the exhaust cannot be repacked as was originally thought. In summary I would contrast it to the Fantic 200 when it first came out and superseded the bultaco's and montesa's of that era. I anticipate if it proves reliable it will be a game changer.

Previous bike 2014 Beta 250...

The bike was totally wet through and full of mud when it was my time to have a go, yet it never missed a beat all day(1 hour) for me.

Its a much better design than the Beta. It's very neat and tidy and nothing sticks out. In fact i'm sure the main area of the bike tank/exhaust/engine is smaller, unless the seat height is lower. The engine is narrower and it all looks very well made.

It started fine every time like the Beta. The gearbox is far better with more of a positive feel to the lever and i could find neutral fine, not like the Beta.

It tracked better than mine.The lock to lock was about the same but the front end was much easier to direct the bike where it was pointed. May be that has got something to do with the suspension, which i think was the biggest difference between the bikes. It was so plush. It was full of rocks where i was riding and there was a good few times when I was preparing myself to feel the hit from dropping down on to a rock or landing between rocks, but he forks surprised me, it was super plush and i didn't feel a thing.

The other thing i noticed was it didn't feel much lighter than mine when stationary but did feel different weight wise whilst riding it. It must have a far lower centre of gravity as it was lighter and faster to move around when riding.

The engine felt more like a 250 than a 300 in sections. I'm sure the flywheel must be lighter than the Beta. Pulling from low revs was smoother with no jerking. I found when off throttle, the motor went down the revs quicker as well. Overall going from a 250 carb bike to this 300 will not be a problem. The engine power is very very controllable.

The clutch is also better than the Beta, no sharp bite point and a little softer to pull in but when it was disengaged there was no clutch drag at all, which for me made tight turns far more of a pleasant experience.

Edited by colin008
  • Like 3

I believe only the 300cc combat is for sale initially. The price is set at £5750 with no discount for any reason (i.e no. of units ordered etc) I was told the company are setting a level playing field for all their customers which is reassuring if they honour that. Other models of comparable engine sizes to all the current brands (250/280/300) will be produced in the near future with variable specs available.

I had to pay £500 up front to set the order mechanism in action and was told the company do not, and don't intend to facilitate part exchange at any time, even within the brand. So my understanding is when I want to sell my Vertigo the company intend to set up an exclusive web site for advertising second hand V's.

It does introduce a logistical problem not previously encountered for me because I have to pay for the Vertigo and then try and sell my Factory Beta privately which equates to roughly £12000 lay out on trials bikes in the same calendar year. That's not meant as a complaint, thank God I'm in the position to do so and I love everything about motorcycling so consider it money well spent but normally my local dealer Highland Leisure sport give me a fair price for my used bike and are extremely helpful in facilitating the change which is a convenience I will miss to be honest! I can see this feature of changing to a Vertigo a stumbling block for what would potentially be future customers.

http://www.pinsentmasons.com/PDF/recommending_retail_prices_how_far_can_you_go.pdf

See the link, in particular page 2 para 1, It seems Vertigo's pricing intentions may breach UK / EU law

Which bike is best (and what is best) is largely a matter of opinion and not fact. What is a fact is that 30 years of bike development has not much (if at all) increased the severity of the sections which the majority are able to ride competently. 

If ever there was a motorsport where equipment has a relatively trivial influence on performance, trials is it...

That's true but a mechanic with good skills and Walmart tools won't do the job as easy and with the pleasure of an high end workshop

• Like 1

http://www.pinsentmasons.com/PDF/recommending_retail_prices_how_far_can_you_go.pdf

See the link, in particular page 2 para 1, It seems Vertigo's pricing intentions may breach UK / EU law

Which bike is best (and what is best) is largely a matter of opinion and not fact. What is a fact is that 30 years of bike development has not much (if at all) increased the severity of the sections which the majority are able to ride competently.

Anything Vertigo do within their commercial strategy that breaches law in any way is a matter for them and something I know nothing about. As a customer I feel the bike is good value relatively speaking and am happy to pay the price asked.

I couldn't agree more about opinions which is why when asked to contrast brands I started by saying my comments were subjective.

Edited by the dabster

This happpens alot john. Also his office of fair trading case refers to "retail prices" as much as anything. If vertigo is only available from Silsden its hardly "retail" is it?

If part exchanges arent allowed then isnt the second hand price going to be seriously reduced?

Edited by nigel dabster