Changes At Peak Classic For 2016

old trials fanatic

Hi,

Sorry to be a boring old kill-joy, but sadly, Mick Andrews intentions have been misrepresented.

You see he and Jill live in a wonderful old property that used to belong to the late Dave Tye, who started his trials career with an up and coming firm in Bristol called Douglas.  Mick is not going to swop to an Ariel or an AMC - he's going back to his roots - and here's a Jack Knoops shot of him practising................

post-19290-0-30986900-1447500356_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

OTF

Just read this topic.

How many early Bultacos, Monts, Gaunt Jawas, Cotton Minarellis, etc, etc,  do you think are left?

Just how many owners are would be willing to ride?

Very, very few, I would suggest.

I've seen quite a few at shows so there are ones around plus there are i am sure many more in boxes just awaiting a reason to be rebuilt and brought to life again. Anyway its always easy to knock and dont even try but unless you do how will you ever know ? I personally think it would be great to see those Sprites, Cottons, Greeves Pathfinders, early Bultacos being used as they were intended once again. Competition bikes are for competing on NOT for staring at. Well they are in my book. Sparks2 you may be right but at least i tried  :popcorn:

• Like 3

OTF

Just read this topic.

How many early Bultacos, Monts, Gaunt Jawas, Cotton Minarellis, etc, etc,  do you think are left?

Just how many owners are would be willing to ride?

Very, very few, I would suggest.

I can tell you there are owners of bikes like these who can be teased out to play / compete. You only have to look at Somerton Classic's introduction to trials series to see that there are people who want to have a go - but don't want to be intimidated by very difficult sections.The third route also known as the "Gentlemans" route has a regular group of riders who like to get out and have a wobble round with like minded people - This happens at all 3 local clubs to me.

• Like 1

The sections at the Peak classic trials are set out really well, so if I'm willing to ride my greeves round on the intermediate route I'm sure others would. A lot of riders at the events I've done have said it should be in my front room but as OTF says ''they are for competing on not looking at''

post-20099-0-59194400-1447520137_thumb.jpg

Edited by hulmie
  • Like 4

I've seen quite a few at shows so there are ones around plus there are i am sure many more in boxes just awaiting a reason to be rebuilt and brought to life again. Anyway its always easy to knock and dont even try but unless you do how will you ever know ? I personally think it would be great to see those Sprites, Cottons, Greeves Pathfinders, early Bultacos being used as they were intended once again. Competition bikes are for competing on NOT for staring at. Well they are in my book. Sparks2 you may be right but at least i tried  :popcorn:

Yes, well, I hope I'm wrong and you're right. Give it a go.

All the Best

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

• 4 weeks later...

OTF has been looking in my garage I think! Saracens with 125 and 200 Sachs motors, another 125 Sachs in a 1970 Sprite and an unwealdly looking Minarelli DOT.

The 125 Saracen is very low and lacking power for todays classic trials whereas the 125 Sprite with it's iron barrel seems to have a bit more low down go in it but the wheelbase is very short.

Although the DOT steers very nicely I can't get the Minarelli geared low enough and it has a strange power band but I guess thats how they were in their day.

I'm thinking that my 200 Saracen Invader may have to be given a run out in this new series :)

post-17096-0-00140800-1449445531_thumb.jpg

post-17096-0-62717700-1449445552_thumb.jpg

post-17096-0-32464700-1449445806_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

OTF has been looking in my garage I think! Saracens with 125 and 200 Sachs motors, another 125 Sachs in a 1970 Sprite and an unwealdly looking Minarelli DOT.

The 125 Saracen is very low and lacking power for todays classic trials whereas the 125 Sprite with it's iron barrel seems to have a bit more low down go in it but the wheelbase is very short.

Although the DOT steers very nicely I can't get the Minarelli geared low enough and it has a strange power band but I guess thats how they were in their day.

I'm thinking that my 200 Saracen Invader may have to be given a run out in this new series :)

Get it done you won't regret it

• Like 1